Barbeque Pulled Pork Sandwiches & Coleslaw Recipe
When someone sends you a bottle of Organic Cripple Creek BBQ sauce, you need to barbeque something. I tried to be creative and planned out a spicy appetizer made with chicken tenderloin and wrapped in pancetta, baked to perfection and brushed with the barbeque sauce then served over fresh pineapple slices.
The oven broke so the obvious change of plans was going to mean barbecue pulled pork sandwiches and cole slaw on Sunday. Everything went smoothly until I realized all those mouth watering photographs were taken without a sim card in the camera. So I had a do over on Monday and I didn’t hear anyone complain, the Cripple Creek Barbeque Sauce was worth it all and I give it 5 STARS!
Barbeque Pulled Pork Sandwiches Recipe
(serves 4-6 )
- 2 lb organic pork shoulder/ butt roast
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 gala apple-quartered
- the peel and juice from 1 orange
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 carrot -halved
- 1 parsley root -halved
- 1 celery stalk with leaves -halved
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- a pinch of nutmeg -freshly grated
- 2 c apple juice
- 2 c water
- 1 x 12 oz bottle Cripple Creek Barbeque Sauce
- 4 Sesame buns -lightly toasted
1. Heat up the olive oil in a large cast iron dutch oven. season the pork with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper on each side then sear in the hot pot until golden brown on each side.
2. Deglaze the pot with the apple juice then add water and bring to a simmer. Add the aromatics: onion, garlic, celery, carrots, parsley, orange peel, apples and orange juice. Stir in the sea salt, black pepper, pepper flakes and nutmeg then cover with a tight lid.
3. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on very low flame or until the meat is fork tender. Transfer to a plate, discard any excess fat and shred the meat with a fork.
4. Warm up the barbeque sauce then add the shredded pork. Serve on the toasted sesame buns with a side of cole slaw.
Cole Slaw Recipe
(serves 4 )
- 1/2 lb red cabbage -shredded
- 1/2 lb white cabbage -shredded
- 1 red bell pepper -thinly sliced
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs raw honey
- 1/2 tsp sea sat
- pinch of cayenne pepper
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey and the spices. Adjust seasonings to your taste and toss with the cabbage and bell pepper. Refrigerate and allow the flavors to marry for a few hours or overnight.