Hands down the best stuffed peppers recipe, easy and healthy made with chicken and risotto rice, cooked in a San Marzano tomato sauce. Can be cooked on the stove top or finished in the oven or even your crock pot.
You guys, I’m just here to talk about what is the best stuffed peppers recipe of all time! I swear on my saffron!
I totally realize the thermometer shows like 95”F outside, but seriousley, who doesn’t love good comfort food regardless of the weather ? And is there anything out there that even comes close to a home cooked meal like these best stuffed peppers? Me thinks not!
What makes this the Best Stuffed Peppers recipe ?
- the different color bell peppers are loaded with sweet flavors and nutrition
- the peppers are stuffed with organic ground chicken instead of beef or pork, which makes them not only super tasty and healthy, but also a great source of lean protein.
- they are cooked in the tastiest broth/ sauce, made with San Marzano tomatoes and organic vegetable stock. Best way to cook stuffed peppers is in all that tomato sauce.
- they are super easy to make, and can be prepared a couple of days in advance.
- a pot of these best stuffed peppers will feed and satisfy the hunger of 7 or 8 adults. Depending on how many bell peppers you can really fit in your pot. You have a big dutch oven right ?
- you can easily make these stuffed peppers vegetarian by replacing the ground chicken in the recipe with wild mushrooms.
- instead of chicken you can go with turkey, ground beef, or even some Italian sausage.
- swap the risotto rice for quinoa, couscous or quick cook brown rice.
I could try and describe more in depth the magical combination of flavors in this best chicken stuffed peppers recipe, but honestly i wouldn’t do it any justice.
Just like my peperonata recipe , or the unstuffed cabbage rolls, this is something you just have to experience yourself: rustic, comforting peasant food coming to you straight out of grandpa’s kitchen.
This is the best stuffed peppers recipe and the only one you need! Google it 😉
If you like lots of sauce in your bowl, just add more liquid and cook this recipe more like a tomato stuffed pepper soup.
What to serve with stuffed peppers?
- a nice drizzle of organic sour cream or greek yogurt
- lots of crusty fresh bread. Bread is everything!
- 7-8 medium size bell peppers mixed colors
- 3/4 c risotto rice
- 1 lb organic ground chicken dark meat or ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sprigs thyme leaves only
- 8 thyme sprigs whole
- 1/2 c Italian flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 28 oz canned San Marzano tomatoes whole in tomato puree
- 1/2 qt water/ chicken or vegetable stock seasoned to taste
- 3 leaves bay
- 1 c sour cream or greek yogurt for serving (optional)
- Optional: thyme blossoms for garnish
Preheat your oven to 375" F.
Rinse the peppers and cut the tops and empty the seeds and membrane. Reserve the clean tops also, you’ll need to place them back on top after you fill the peppers.
Crush the tomatoes with your hands and add a layer with juices to the bottom of a large enameled cast iron pan.
In a large saute pan heat up the olive oil and saute the onion with a pinch of sea salt until softened and translucent. Add the rice, stir and let cook together for about 5 min. Mix in the ground chicken and break it up with a wooden spoon. Add the thyme leaves, parsley, 1 tsp sea salt, pepper and paprika and mix well together. Remove from heat.
Stuff each pepper with the meat and rice mixture ¾ of the way up (very important not to over stuff them). Put the tops back on, just to make sure the stuffing will stay inside..
Arrange the peppers in the heavy bottom sauce pan on top of the tomato layer. Pour in the chicken stock and the remaining crushed tomatoes making sure it comes all the way up the sides of the peppers.
Add the bay leaves and thyme sprigs and transfer the pot to the preheated 375 degrees oven for 50 minutes.
Remove from the lid and allow the peppers to cook uncovered for another 10 minutes.
Remove the pot of stuffed peppers from the oven very carefully and allow it to sit covered for 10 min before serving.
Serve with a drizzle of sour cream and garnished with fresh parsley and thyme.
Follow the recipe above and add the peppers to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 -8 hours or until tender and the rice is cooked through.
1. Serve the stuffed peppers warm surrounded by the broth they were cooked in and drizzled with sour cream or greek yogurt.
2. If you happen to have any chicken and rice mixture leftover, just spoon it in the pot around the peppers to cook together.