Chicken Rice Pilaf is a dish made all over the world, in which rice is toasted or browned in oil or butter and cooked in stock. My mom made a variation of this chicken rice pilaf at least once a week. Granted, it didn’t always have chicken or meat in it, but it was none the less delicious and comforting.
I make my own version using chicken tenderloin or chicken breast, start it on the stove and finish it up in the oven in my large cast iron pot. However you can do it all on the stove top if you prefer. It is my go to recipe during a busy week, when I still want the comforting taste of home made, but not quite enough time to get it all together. This chicken rice pilaf is one of those easy meals that will come to mind often, especially in the cooler months. Makes fantastic leftover lunches to go,garnished with toasted seeds and your favorite herbs.
- 1½ lb organic chicken -boneless & skinless -cut into small bites
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs organic butter
- 1 c onion -diced
- 2 carrots -diced
- ½ red bell pepper -diced
- ½ green bell pepper -diced
- 2 c organic white rice -long grain
- 3½ c organic chicken stock -low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ c Italian parsley -chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt +more to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- In a cast iron dutch oven heat up the olive oil and butter and saute the onion with a pinch of sea salt until translucent (5 min). Add the carrots and saute for 3 more minutes then add the bell peppers. Allow everything to cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Add the chicken to the pot, toss to coat and let cook until it starts to change color.
- Stir in the rice making sure it’s coated nicely with all the oils and let it toast for a few minutes. Season with the sea salt and black pepper, add the bay leaves and pour in the chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a tight lid then transfer to a preheated 375 F degree oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it rest, covered for 10-15 minutes. Fluff it up with a fork, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve with a side ofHeirloom Tomato & Cucumber Salad.