A gorgeous broiled pink grapefruit mojito recipe with attitude from a red chili pepper slice.The hot cooler is a thing!
How was your Super Bowl Sunday ? Did your team win ? There was a lot of drama going down for sure, but the best drama of all happened in my grapefruit mojito cocktail.
I had sweet citrusy caramelized broiled pink grapefruit juice, showing off in the same glass with mint and lime, and spicy red chili pepper, then sprinkled with pretty purple lavender flowers, or basil blossoms.
I asked you guys what to name it yesterday, and got suggestions like:
- Grapefruit Chili Mojito
- Gorgeous, Beautiful, Botanical
- Grapefruit Goddess Nectar
- the Hot Citrus Cooler
- Easy Grapefruit Mojito
- Sparkling Grapefruit Mojito
- Best Grapefruit Mojito
You guys really rock! My libra brain had a hard time setting on the simple title: Grapefruit Mojito, Ha! So Google better recognize!
This is how I make it:
- I broiled some pink grapefruit with sugar on top until perfectly caramelized. Then when cool enough to handle, I juiced it in a bowl to get all that insane goodness out of it. Then I strained it through a mesh strainer so there won’t be any seeds or pulp floating around in my cocktail.
- Then I muddled some mint with lime and agave, hit it with a nice light rum, or vodka, and topped it with the broiled grapefruit juice, a splash of sparkling water and a slice of red chili pepper for that je ne sais quoi after taste with attitude.
If you like things extra spicy you can actually muddle the red chili pepper with the mint and lime, but for me just the floating on top is all the kick I need.
I rimmed the cocktail glasses with sugar to balance that nice grapefruit bitterness, tough broiling it really brings out the sweetness.
And that tiny little red slice of chili just floating over the top is everything, don’t leave it out, unless of course you are allergic or something, I don’t wanna be responsible.
- 4 pink grapefruit
- 2 lime wedges
- 2 slices lime
- 1 in grapefruit cut half
- 2 shots rum or vodka
- 2 tbsp agave or honey
- 1/3 c granulated sugar
- 1/3 c sparkling water
- 4 slices red chile pepper
- 4 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 sprigs lavender or basil
- 2 c ice cubes
Pour the granulated sugar on a plate.
Swipe the rim of the glasses with a lime wedge and dip the rim in the granulated sugar. Set aside.
Preheat your broiler.
Slice the grapefruit in half and dip the cut side into the granulated sugar until coated. Place them cut side up on a broiler proof pan and broil for a few minutes until the sugar caramelizes on top.
Remove the grapefruit from the broiler and allow to cool.
Using a citrus reamer juice the grapefruit into a bowl. Strain into a cup and set aside.
Add a lime wedge, 1 tablespoon of agave and 2 tablespoons of mint leaves to each glass. Using a cocktail muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, muddle together well until the lime is crushed.
Pour one shot of rum in each glass and ad the grapefruit slice. Fill the glass with the ice.
Divide the grapefruit juice between the two glasses and top it off with a splash of the sparkling water.
Garnish with one slice of lime, a sprig of mint and lavender and one slice of the red chile pepper. Enjoy cold !