Heirloom purple potato salad with perfect 6 minute eggs and herbs !
I must confess, I could not help myself from singing Purp and Yellow all around the kitchen as I was making this salad. I mean, it just came out and I had no way of stopping it. You know what I’m talking about, you are singing Purp and Yellow right now ! Got ya teeheeheehee
On to this dreamy purple potato salad:
Doesn’t it look fake ? But it isn’t ! These are real organic fingerling purple potatoes. And you know I don’t do photoshop, so this is the real deal ! Wowza !! I’m telling you, nature has a way of showing off that never ceases to amaze me.
We clearly love potato salads around here, and we also love our chicken eggs. Together, they are dangerous, a Bonnie and Clyde kind of pair, just check the pictures of that creamy egg yolk oozing over the purple potatoes. Are you drooling yet ?
I bet this is the way to get your kids to eat some potatoes and eggs. I mean, what kid would say no to a purple potato salad with creamy chicken eggs on top ?!
I initially made this with a blood orange olive oil which I loved, however in the recipe I just say extra virgin olive oil because some people don’t like flavored olive oils, so I figured I’d keep things simple. You decide what rocks your taste buds.
So I just can’t get over that bright pretty purple color, I probably ate way too much purple potato salad today just because of that.
For a split second there I thought of calling this the Lakers Purple Potato Salad ! I know, take that Kobe :p ! But, I decided to hold off until they put me on their payroll. I’ll keep you posted 😉
So tell me, what did you cook this weekend ? And did you save me some leftovers ? When are you going to make this purple potato salad ? I want to know everything !
- 2 lb purple fingerling potatoes , organic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- ½ tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ bunch fresh dill, snipped
- ½ bunch fresh chives or 3 scallions, snipped
- 4 eggs, organic
- ¼ c pepitas or pine nuts , toasted
- Freshly cracked peppercorn medley to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Drain the purple potatoes in a colander and allow them to dry off in their own steam for a few minutes until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile in a salad bowl mix together the olive oil, sea salt, dill and chives. Cut the purple potatoes in halves or thirds depending on their size and add them on top of the olive oil dressing. Gently toss to coat all over.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add the eggs. Cook for 6 minutes and drain under some cold water. Gently peel them and cut them in half. Place the eggs cut side up on top of the purple potato salad, and season all over with the cracked peppercorns, red pepper flakes and more sea salt to taste.
- Garnish with some fresh dill, chives and the toasted pepitas. Finish with a nice drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and serve warm.
You’ll Also Love these Potato Salads: