This shell-Fish risotto recipe is the real deal kids! I could hardly wait to share it with you because this is how you dine like a Boss ! Godfather style Italian dinner for the Bosses ! That’s how I can best describe this shell-Fish risotto recipe to you, and I really hope it makes some kind of sense.
On my way back from the coffee shop this morning, I stopped at the market to pick up some fresh shell-fish. I had plans for this shell-fish risotto recipe for days, I’ve been dreaming about it really. Ever since I received this new Acquerello rice from Italy, risotto rice that is aged for at least one year and then refined and reintegrated with its precious bud. Also it is the only rice with the nutritional values of brown rice. Cool stuff that gave me shell-fish risotto recipe dreams ! I swear, sometimes I can even smell the garlic in my dreams..
So I took the time to made my own stock for this shell-Fish risotto recipe . Don’t forget, this is a dinner for Bosses, you gotta do it right ! I used the shrimp and crab shells and I really believe it made all the difference in the world. But don’t let that hold you back from making this, you can cheat with some store-bought chicken stock if you must, I won’t say a word. Just make this shell-Fish risotto recipe one of these days, I swear you can’t get this in a restaurant. Like Nike, just do it !
You will need a good pinch of saffron here, that’s the thing that gives this shell-fish risotto recipe that je ne sais quoi ! And you will need some extra fresh shellFish, but don’t go to crazy trying to find everything like in the picture below. Use your favorite shell-fish here; If you don’t like mussels, forget about it, replace them with shrimp or extra clams. Adapt this shell-fish risotto recipe to your own taste. Load it up with your favorite shell-fish to enjoy it to the max. Let’s do this kids!
Buon Appetito !
- 1½ c Acquerello Carnaroli rice
- 8 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 small onion -diced
- 1½ c white wine
- 1½ c grape or cherry tomatoes -quartered
- 5 garlic cloves -grated
- ¾ lb medium size shrimp -cleaned & reserve the shells
- ½ lb littleneck clams or baby clams -scrubbed clean
- ½ lb mussels -cleaned & bears removed
- meat from 1 crab leg -cooked & reserve the shell
- 5 tbs flat leaf Italian parsley -minced
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 1 lemon
- sea salt to taste
- 2 qt purified water
- Shells from ¾ lb of shrimp
- The shell from the crab leg
- 1 carrot -cut into chunks
- 1 celery stalks – cut into chunks
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ of a small onion
- 5 peppercorns
- ½ tsp sea salt + more to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Start making the seafood stock by combining all the stock ingredients in a large pot and simmering on low flame for 1 hour. Remove from the flame and strain through a fine mesh strainer. Stir in the saffron and keep warm.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan heat up 3 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil. Add the minced onion with a pinch of sea salt and sweat it on low heat for about 10 minutes until translucent. Stir in your Acquerello carnaroli rice and allow it to toast for a few minutes until no longer opaque.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir until almost all is absorbed but do not let the rice dry out completely. Continue by adding the saffron infused stock a ladle at the time waiting for the rice to absorb it before adding more. Make sure to maintain a constant ripple and never let the rice dry out.
- Continue cooking for about 20 minutes or until the rice grains are tender but have a little bite, al dente. Remove from the heat while it has the consistency of thick cream and stir in 1 tbs of butter for a silky finish .
- About 10 minutes before your risotto is done start cooking the seafood. Heat up a stainless steel skillet with 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil over medium flame. Pat dry the shrimp with paper towels and drizzle it with 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil. Season with a pinch of sea salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Mix together with the grated garlic and add it to the hot skillet. Toss it around a couple of times and only cook it for a minute or two until it curls up and turns pink. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with a little freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan with a pinch of sea salt and hit it with the ¼ c of the white wine. Using a silicone spatula make sure to scrape up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes until the tomatoes start releasing their juices and they form a nice sauce with the wine. Add the cooked shrimp with the juices back to the pan together with the crab meat and 3 tbs of the minced parsley. Gently toss to coat and drizzle with a little more lemon juice and olive oil. Adjust seasoning and set aside.
- In a different skillet heat up the remaining 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil over medium flame and add your clams and mussels. Hit it with a splash of stock or wine and cover with a lid. Cook until they open, about 3-5 minutes and discard all the unopened ones.
- Divide your risotto between 4 plates and top each with 5 shrimps, 4 clams, 3 mussels and 2 pieces of the crab meat. Drizzle the entire plate with a spoon full of the tomato and wine sauce from the shrimp and crab. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the top and sprinkle with some parsley.
P.S. you might like to try this Paella Style Risotto Recipe
P.S. 1 This Golden Chanterelle Leek Brown Rice Risotto