A simple Mediterranean heirloom tomato onion salad with lots of fresh herbs and feta cheese, dressed in a lovely olive oil and vinegar dressing!
I wouldn’t dream of making this with anything but the freshest heirloom tomatoes, and the best feta cheese i could get my little hands on.
Now you all know by now that I’m a huge fan of different colors heirloom tomatoes, right ?
But in this particular tomato onion salad, I insist on only using the red ones. I can’t explain it, except the flavor of the red tomatoes with the feta and the herbs is unique and we just gotta stick to that.
I love adding those lovely chive blossoms on top, it compliments the final dish with subtle sweet onion flavors, and just makes it look pretty. We already agreed that pretty food taste better, right ? So If you have any growing in the garden, sprinkle them all over the place.
Bursting with summery flavors this tomato onion salad is easy like Sunday morning:
- Slice the tomatoes and purple onion.
- Crumble the best feta cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with the capers and fresh herbs. I love the oregano, chive and dill combination!
- Drizzle with your best olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Give it a gentle toss just before serving.
- Enjoy sprinkled with flakes of Fleur de Sel.
This tomato onion salad pairs well with:
- Chimichurri Steak with Peppercorn Crust
- the Best Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Pesto Pizza
- Perfect Grilled Chicken
- Crispy Chicken Wings
More reason to enjoy a little tomato onion salad often:
- Onions have amazing cancer fighting properties. They are also antiviral, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. You can ask Google if you want 😉
- Tomatoes taste Amazing and are a rich source of lycopene. They are also loaded with vitamins and lutein which helps with healthy vision. Who does’t wanna see well, right ?
That being said, let’s go harvest some goodies and make this tomato onion salad already ~ Florentina Xo’s
- 2 lb red heirloom tomatoes
- 1 small purple onion
- 5 oz feta cheese
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c chives chopped
- 1/4 c fresh dill roughly chopped + more to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 4 tbsp capers
- chive blossoms for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Fleur de Sel sea salt + more to taste
Using a very sharp knife slice the tomatoes into small wedges and add them to a serving bowl with the capers.
Slice the purple onion into thin strips or round and sprinkle on top of the tomatoes.
Use your hands and rustically tear the feta cheese over the top of the tomato onion salad.
Sprinkle with the fresh oregano, dill and chives.
Drizzle the salad with the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
Season with the Fleur the Sel sea salt, and just before serving give it a gently toss to coat.
Garnish with the chive blossoms and serve promptly with a few extra flakes of Fleur de Sel on top to your taste.
You’ll Also Love: