Parsley is the one herb I always have on hand, eighter in the garden or in a glass of water in the refrigerator. From flavoring dishes to freshening your breath Parsley is your friend! Plus my Maltipoo puppy Lucky Peluci loves to chew on it!
Here are my 7 Facts About Parsley :
1. Parsley is a fresh and mild herb, native to the eastern Mediterranean region.
2. Parsley has a fresh, clean taste, herbaceous with hints of lemon, anise and pepper.
3. Flat Leaf Parsley or Italian parsley has a better finer flavor for cooking than Curly Parsley which is mostly used for garnishes.
4. Only use fresh parsley and never buy the dried kind, it has no flavor or aroma.
5. Parsley stems have a stronger flavor than the leaves and they are used to flavor stocks, soups and stews. Add chopped parsley at the end of cooking for a burst of freshness.
6. Parsley root looks like a parsnip and has a nutty flavor with hints of celery. Used in Europe to flavor chicken soups and stews.
7. Store fresh parsley in a glass of water in the refrigerator and cover with a plastic bag. You may also freeze it, chopped and mixed with water in ice cube trays or chew on a sprig to freshen your breath.