An exotic spin on your Spanish Arroz Verde or green rice recipe. Quick cooked brown rice coated in a cilantro, scallion and mango sauce for the loveliest green rice you ever had.
No kidding you guys, this mango green rice recipe is one of the most favorite side dishes at the shack.
Popular with adults and children alike, this rice dish is quick and easy to prepare in a pinch. Fabulous made in advance as well and served with grilled shrimp ( camarones) or chicken.
I used a quick cook brown rice here, because why not get as much nutrition from a dish as we can right ? Plus it cooks in less than 15 minutes, you can’t beat that on a Tuesday, are you with me ?
What is happening in this green rice or arroz verde:
- You make a pot of quick cook brown rice, it can be done in advance if you like!
- We dust off the food processor and make an exotic, to die for, sweet and citrusy mango cilantro sauce to coat the rice in.
In all honesty kids, I stumbled onto this variation of green rice while trying to disguise scallions from the BatMan. And what better way to do it then with sweet mango, cilantro and lime ? We pretty munch add mango to everything we can, from smoothies to mango salsa spooned over Tacos de Carnitas. I even use it in a version of chimichurri for surf and turf night. Endless possibilities I swear!
What to serve this green rice with:
This arroz verde is without a doubt the perfect side dish to your favorite protein, but also a vegetarian’s dream!
What i really love about it is that you can make it a bunch of different ways. As a matter of fact, i have a few variations of green rice up my sleeve, for when I need to use up some leftover produce from the fridge, so make your pick:
- Spinach Green Rice: puree 1/2 lb baby spinach with 1 c caramelized onions, olive oil and lime juice!
- Parsley + Cilantro
- Arugula or Kale
- Steamed Broccoli + Spinach
I just buzz it all up in my food processor with mango or even papaya, plus a bunch of green scallions for a subtle and delicious oniony flavor. Just be mindful of the chile peppers If there will be kids around.
Hope you give this a go soon, because green rice or Arroz Verde is a thing you know ? 😉 ~ Florentina
Green Rice Recipe (Arroz Verde)
- 2 c quick cook brown rice
- 1 bunch cilantro tops only
- 8 scallions
- 1 large mango
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 poblano chile pepper
- 1 red chile pepper
- juice from 1 lime
- 3/4 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 3.5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 c cilantro leaves for garnish
- Add the brown rice to a pot together with the bay leaf, a good pinch of sea salt and the water. Bring it to a gentle simmer, cover with a tight lid and cook for 13 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.
- Remove the rice from heat and allow it to sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and cut the mango.
- Add the to the bowl of a food processor together with the cilantro, scallions, poblano chile and olive oil. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer the cilantro mango sauce to a large bowl and mix in the lime juice. Season to your taste with sea salt.
- Add the cooked brown rice to the pot with the cilantro mango sauce and using a spatula toss to coat all over.
- Adjust seasonings and serve the Arroz Verde or green rice garnished with the reserved cilantro leaves and red chile pepper.