This baked Spanish rice is a trip to Latin America in a rustic bowl. Imagine sweet fire roasted tomatoes, smoky cumin, a kiss of paprika, plus a good pinch of fragrant coriander seeds.
Let me count the ways I love this baked Spanish rice, okay ?
Initially it was going to be just that, a side dish, a lovely hearty healthy side dish to go next to the Spanish style perfectly grilled chicken from last week.
It’s one of those easy things you could even make in advance and have ready for your barbecue or lunches on the go. For me it’s just the perfect vegetarian lunch to have throughout the week. I use a mix of sprouted rice grains, brown red and black, so I can feel good about going back for seconds.
This healthy baked Spanish rice was so insanely delicious the first time, that I made again the same week.
So I can share of course. And the second time around Is when the magic actually happened. When I tossed it in some of that golden roasted pepper sauce we usually put on steaks, because you know, I was not going to waste a drop of that sauce. And it was time for the sauce to show off.
I mean, tossing that already perfect baked Spanish rice in that Latin flavored roasted pepper sauce took it to a whole new incredible level of OMG, this is everything!
And I don’t even use OMG, ever ! It just came out this time and for good reason.
So then I sliced up all the leftover perfect grilled chicken for my Papi Chulo, tossed it gently in this amazing goodness, and that was the lunch of champions for three days in a row.
This baked Spanish rice is definitely going to be on repeat at the shack for the rest of time.
Oh, I also put a handful of green peas in there, I’ve been kind of obsessed with steaming green peas lately. But if all you have are frozen green peas those will work just fine, after you warm them through. But do try to find the fresh ones if you can, such a lovely touch, and they kind of belong in a baked Spanish rice bowl.
Baked Spanish Rice Recipe
- 3 c sprouted rice medley ( red brown & black rice )
- 1 oz x 15 can fire roasted tomatoes diced
- 4 c water
- 1 Spanish onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 tbsp Mexican seasonings
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 c fresh green peas steamed
- 1/2 c pepitas toasted
- 5 leaves sprigs cilantro only
- 1 c golden roasted pepper sauce
- 1 lb of this perfect grilled chicken optional
- coriander blossoms for garnish optional
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- Heat up the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium low flame. Add the onion with a pinch of sea salt and sauté for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the diced carrots and sauté for a few more minutes. Stir in the garlic, coriander seeds, Mexican seasonings, red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, ground cumin and sea salt and give it a nice toss to coat.
- Stir in the sprouted rice medley and toss to coat in the olive oil and spices. Add the canned tomatoes and the water and bring to a gentle simmer together. Cover with a tight lid.
- Transfer the pot to the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Allowed to sit covered for 10 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
- Add half of the pepper sauce on top and gently toss to coat all the rice grains in it. Fold in the green peas and serve with the remaining Pepper Sauce on top and some sliced grilled chicken. Sprinkle with the pepitas and garnish with the cilantro leaves and coriander blossoms.