Are you ready for the best garlic roasted chicken of your life ? No playing games at all, I promise you that after dozens, hundreds of garlic roasted chicken s I made and ate in my life ( when I was not a vegetarian ) this wins hands down.
Extra crispy skin and moist meat, just perfection. If you are more of a chicken family (like us ) not a turkey family, I promise you everyone will love you if you make this for Thanksgiving.
It is not so much the recipe, except that you need at least a dozen garlic cloves, but really it is about the technique. So pay close attention at the following Critical steps, because I don’t want to wake up to 1500 emails about how you washed the chicken, and it turned out soggy, and you fed it to your cat. Not that I don’t like cats..
~DO NOT WASH CHICKEN
~PAT CHICKEN DRY, ALL OVER INCLUDING THE CAVITY
~LET CHICKEN AIR DRY IN THE REFRIGERATOR OVERNIGHT
~BRING CHICKEN TO ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR AT LEAST 30 MIN BEFORE ROASTING
Congratulations ! You are now on your way to the best garlic roasted chicken of your life. You are welcome ! Who loves you baby ?!
But wait, we also drizzled it all over with garlicky arugula chimichurri sauce, now it has reached perfection ! But if you also make some Blood Orange Cranberry Sauce, then it’s really like Fuhgeddaboudit !
If you really don’t like arugula, then I have the Best Chimichurri Recipe for you to drizzle all over this crispy roasted chicken. Because there is no such thing as too much garlic. Can you even handle it ? Garlic Roasted Chicken Heaven !
- 1 large chicken organic
- 14 cloves garlic smashed with the side of a knife and peeled
- 3 leaves bay
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp <a class="zem_slink" title="Sea salt" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt" target="_blank" rel="wikipedia" data-mce-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_salt">sea salt</a>
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- a lug of olive oil
- thisbest chimichurri recipeor the one below
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley tops only
- 2 c baby arugula leaves
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- the juice from 1 large juicy lime organic
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- a good pinch of sea salt to your taste
- Remove the giblets, neck and liver from the chicken cavity and save for stock or something you like. Using paper towels pat dry the chicken really well, including the cavity. Place chicken in the refrigerator and allow it to air dry overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 450”
- Take chicken out of the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Pat it dry some more with paper towels including the cavity. If you have a roasting rack this is the time to use it.
- Pour a lug of olive oil over the chicken and rub it all over. Sprinkle generously with the sea salt, including the cavity. Using your fingers insert a few cloves between the meat of the chicken and the skin. Reserve a few to stuff in the cavity together with the bay leaf and thyme. Sprinkle with the sweet paprika on top and rub it all over.
- Tuck in the tips of the chicken wings underneath the bird. Using a knife make a 1 inch slit in the hanging fatty skin from the back, on both sides (where the legs are ).
- Take each leg and pass it through the opposite side slit, crossing each other. This will eliminate the need to truss the chicken. Easy breezy simple clean.
- Set your chicken on the roasting rack (in a roasting dish ) and cook in the preheated oven for about 1 hour, or until the internal temperature reaches 165” F, because that’s what FoodSafety.gov says you must do.
- Meanwhile to make the arugula chimichurri sauce: process the parsley, arugula, olive oil, lime juice and garlic in the bowl of a small food processor until smooth. Adjust seasonings to your taste with the sea salt. Serve over the best garlic roasted chicken of your life.
P.S. You might like these too 🙂