Easy breezy, the best lemon bars recipe, made with a shortbread base crust and a thick layer of perfectly creamy lemon curd.
No fuss, so easy a kid could make them, the best ever you guys!
Just like coconut macaroons, there is no cornstarch, no baking powder needed at all! Then buzz up some short bread in a mini food processor, bake it, top it with the curd and finish with a dusting of powdered sugar.
If you want to get fancy maybe for Christmas, you can add fresh blueberries or blackberries on top too. Gently press them into the lemon curd with your fingers before dusting with powdered sugar.
Store in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap if there are any leftovers. Only dust with powdered sugar before serving.
P.S. Legend has it that the the original lemon bars were put together by the research and development team at Betty Crocker Inc., and first published the recipe in 1963.
Best Lemon Bars Recipe
For the Shortbread:
- 10 tbsp cold organic butter salted
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 lemon zest only
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 c powdered sugar
For the Lemon Curd:
- 1/2 c lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 lemon zest only
- 4 large egg yolks organic pasture raised
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp butter cut into 5 pieces
- Line a shallow 8 X 8 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 325”F. While your oven is heating up, make the lemon curd.
- To make the lemon curd, prepare a double boiler with 2 inches of water in the bottom pan. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to the top pan. Whisk together over the steam until combined well. Keep whisking for a few minutes until the curd has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. About 10 to 15 minutes or so. Turn off the flame and whisk in the butter until melted. Transfer the curd to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cooled completely
- In the bowl of a food processor add the flour, butter, lemon zest and sugars. Pulse together until a dough forms. Use a spatula and transfer the dough to the prepared baking dish. Press it on top and to fill in the corners.Bake the shortbread in the preheated oven until golden, about 35 to 40 minutes or so.
- Take the shortbread out of the oven and top with the lemon curd. Transfer to the refrigerator until chilled.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the lemon bars into 2x2 inch squares and sprinkle with powdered sugar on top.