There’s a brand new Sprouts Farmers Market that opened close by this summer. It’s a beautiful place with a strong focus on healthy, organic foods and many good deals. You just can’t beat Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon at $5/lb. Seriously tough !
On top of the great price, wild caught Alaskan salmon is also one of the best sources of omega-3s on the planet. It is also delicious and super fast to cook, fantastic choice for a weeknight protein packed dinner.
Look for the thickest fillets you can find as to avoid overcooking and drying the fish.
I make my own blackened seasoning and quickly sear the fillets on very high heat, in a cast iron skillet to achieve that golden brown flavorful crust.
Serve your perfectly blackened wild caught Alaskan salmon with this sweet and tangy Peach and Mango Salsa on top to balance out the complex flavors. Sweet potato fries or even quinoa would be a perfect side dish..
Easy breezy, here is a little step by step on how to make this wild caught Alaskan salmon beauty the right way:
- 1 lb Alaskan Salmon fillets -wild caught; skinless
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dry oregano leaves
- 1 c Peach & Mango Salsa
- Bring the salmon fillet to room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Rub the salmon fillets with the olive oil on both sides. Make a spice rub by combining the sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoke paprika, red pepper flakes, black pepper and oregano. Generously season with the above ingredients all over the salmon fillets. Don't be shy!
- Heat up a cast iron skillet on high flame and coat the bottom with a little olive oil. Add the salmon fillets and sear on each side for about one minute until a deep golden brown crust forms. Make sure not to overcook the salmon, cooking times vary greatly based on the thickness of the fillets.
- Serve hot with the Peach & Mango Salsaon top, lime wedges and your choice of side dishes.