Nutritious, hearty and smoky this cannellini bean soup recipe loaded with power greens and flavor from caramelized leeks.
It was rainy and damp today so I made us a hearty cannellini bean soup recipe loaded with layers of smoky flavors.
To tell you the truth I almost didn’t even write down this cannellini bean soup recipe because:
#1 It was an after thought, I just wanted a bowl of superfood goodness to warm me up.
#2 Because I caramelized the leeks and the soup turned brown, color that is not really a favorite, don’t know why, but people don’t really like brown foods.
But then my little afterthought bowl of goodness turned out to be so tasty that I just had to type it down here for you all to experiment.
I used cannellini beans because they are super creamy, and I love that.Not to say that you couldn’t use pinto beans if that’s what you got sitting In your pantry.
A very simple recipe: I caramelized the leeks for a good 25 minutes together with the diced carrot, then I added a layer of smokiness with smoked paprika. A good dash of oregano and mixed it all up with the cannellini beans and some good stock.
You want to let them do their thing simmering for a few minutes before you puréed them in a smooth creamy bowl of deliciousness !
You could take this in a more Spanish direction with some cumin, coriander and cilantro. I bet that would be killer too.
To take things to a supernatural level I wilted a mix of baby greens in it at the end. Soup is my favorite vehicle to get as many dark leafy greens into my system as possible.
Best part is you can double this recipe and have a hot soup waiting for you for an entire week when you get home.
Back to the brown color of this cannellini bean soup recipe: what do you all think ? I believe in sprinkling pretty edible flowers over everything, and in this case they definitely redeemed the appearance of this delicious soup.
Oh, don’t forget the pine nuts, or at least pepitas, they will balance out the textures beautifully. If you are after a soup that will make you feel fantastic, then this cannelloni bean soup recipe is it.
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 large leek
- 1 large carrot dices
- 4 c cannellini beans cooked
- 1 qt vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 c baby power greens
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar to your taste
- 4 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 2 tbsp Edible flowers for garnish
- Slice and rinse the leeks well. Dry them on paper towels.
- In a heavy soup pot heat up the olive oil on low flame. Add the leeks, a pinch of sea salt and saute. Add the carrot and cook together with the leeks for about 25 minutes until caramelized. Make sure to stir often and not let it burn.
- Add the beans but reserve some for garnish. Stir in the oregano and smoked paprika then add in the stock.
- Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Remove from heat and add the red wine vinegar. Using an immersion blender puree the soup to your liking.
- Add the power greens to the soup and cover with a lid for a few minutes until wilted.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with some of the reserved beans, pine nuts and edible flowers. Serve hot with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil over the top.
P.S. this Ribollita you guys !