An easy recipe for crispy chicken schnitzel, made with panko bread crumbs and chicken tenderloin. The absolute best!
Originally an Austria dish, this is the European version of pan fried chicken.
Traditionally served with lemon wedges, but really lovely with a chive sprinkled sunny side up egg on top.
You could even give it a Cordon Bleu makeover, by stuffing cheese and ham in between two pounded chicken tenders. Top it with a thick tomato sauce, throw it into a sandwich with coleslaw for lunch, or make a mushroom gravy for a family dinner (Romanian style).
Chicken Schnitzel Recipe
- 1 lb chicken tenderloin – gently pounded
- pinch sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 c panko bread crumb (plain)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp milk
- Gently pound the chicken tenderloin, just enough to flatten down so it is uniform. One smack should do. Season the chicken tenderloin with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper on each side.
- Whisk together the egg and milk. Dredge the fillets first in flour making sure to shake off all the excess. Dip them in the egg then dredge them in the bread crumbs making sure they are coated evenly on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron pan. Add a couple of the fillets ( do not overcrowd the pan ) and sear for a couple of minutes on each side until nice and golden.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil and serve promptly with lemon wedges. Serve next to ricotta mashed potatoes and a tomato salad
Still Hungry ?