photo credit: MihaMatei.com
Happy Sunday Kids! Please enjoy another recipe from mine and Fabio Viviani‘s soup project for the month of January ” We The Soup ”
This is another simple and quick recipe you can make any day of the week, and since we’re expecting some rain tomorrow why not give this one a try.
I love tortilla soup but I never seem to be happy with it when i order it in a restaurant and if you’re anything like me you know what I’m talking about.
If you haven’t already done so make sure to download your complimentary copy of “We The Soup ” cookbook here and stay tuned for our February project that’s all about Meat.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 4 c Bertolli Classico olive oil
- 10 flour tortillas
- 1 lb. roast chicken -shredded
- 1 tbsp. dry oregano
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper -diced
- 1 1⁄2 qt. chicken broth
- The juice from 1⁄2 lime
- 4 scallions -sliced
- 10 leaves of fresh basil -chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt + more to taste
- 3⁄4 c Queso Blanco cheese -grated
- 1 large avocado -seeded & diced
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Sour cream for serving
1. Heat 3 tbsp. of the olive oil in a heavy bottom pot and sauté the onions with a pinch of salt until translucent. Add the tomatoes, cumin, oregano and broth and bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add the shredded chicken to the pot and cook just until warmed through, a few minutes. Remove from flame, adjust seasonings and stir in the chopped basil and lime juice.
2. Meanwhile heat up the rest of the oil in a pot over high heat. Add the tortilla strips and fry until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
3. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with a few tortilla strips, some diced avocado and a dollop of sour cream, some of the cheese and green onions. Garnish with a cilantro leaf.