Today is all about cooking tips and how to make your life easier in the kitchen. Have you ever wondered how to make clear ice cubes, soften your hardened bag of brown sugar or how to get a silky creamy risotto every time ? Or can’t explain why your whipping cream won’t turn into whipped cream… ?
These 35 essential cooking tips I believe every cook must know, will help solve many of your cooking dilemmas. They will help make life in the kitchen easier for you, more fun, and ultimately save the day!
For even more cooking tips and to get a complimentary copy of my e-book ” 101 Kitchen Secrets ” make sure to join the e-mail list!
35 COOKING TIPS TO SAVE THE DAY
1. Don’t rinse the PASTA , the starches help the sauce to stick to the noodles.
2. Store delicate fresh HERBS (dill, parsley) in the refrigerator in a glass of water covered with a plastic bag. Change the water every 2 days.
3. Keep fresh BASIL in a glass of water at room temperature, out of direct sunlight.
4. Store your GARLIC at room temperature and make sure to never burn it or it will turn bitter. If there are green sprigs attached to it, it means it is too old.
5. Always add fresh BASIL and DILL at the end of cooking, just before removing from the flame, or they will lose their aroma.
6. Never use DRIED PARSLEY, BASIL or CHIVES , they have no flavor.
7. Remove the root of an ONION before slicing or dicing to avoid Tears.
8. Always use plastic CUTTING BOARDS for meat, chicken and fish, and wash it with hot water and soap after each use.
9. To make grating SOFT CHEESES easier (mozzarella, fontina, cheddar), pop the cheese blocks in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before grating.
10. Always simmer your SOUPS & STEWS , never boil them or they will become cloudy.
11. Chop your HERBS just before using them to get the best flavor.
12. To flavor long cooking STEWS add a simple bouquet garni made out of: Parsley sprigs, Thyme, Bay leaf.
13. To get crispy FRENCH FRIES , let the cut potatoes sit in ice cold water for at least one hour.
14. Always allow a ROAST & STEAK to rest for 10 minutes after cooking for the juices to redistribute.
15. To soften BROWN SUGAR simply place some orange peels or a dry piece of bread in the bag/box overnight.
16. Wrap CELERY in aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator to make it keep longer.
17. To season your PASTA , the pasta water should taste like Sea water. Always add the salt after the water comes to a boil.
18. To get perfectly crispy skin on your CHICKEN & TURKEY, make sure to dry off the bird very well before roasting.
19. To make CLEAR ICE CUBES , heat up the water before pouring it in the ice cube trays. That will drive out the air which is what makes the ice cubs cloudy.
20. Best way to store VEGETABLES is In the refrigerator wrapped in wax paper.
21. To make perfectly WHIPPED CREAM , make sure to start with chilled heavy whipping cream and to chill your whisk and bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
22. To get more juice from CITRUS fruit like lemons and limes, roll them on the counter pressing with the heel on your palm for a few seconds.
23. Store FLOUR in the freezer for longer shelf life .
24. When poaching EGGS add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the simmering water to prevent it from becoming a mess.
25. When buying MUSHROOMS look for the lighter and dry ones otherwise you end up paying for water.
26. To prevent cut APPLES & AVOCADOS from turning brown, squeeze some lemon juice or lime juice on top.
27. Store BUTTER in the freezer for up to six months.
28. HONEY is the only food that doesn’t spoil so you may keep it as long as you like.
29. Use silicone muffin cups for BAKING to avoid having to grease and clean your pan.
30. To get a silky and creamy RISOTTO make sure to stir often, never let the rice dry out completely, and use hot stock so you don’t shock the rice grains with a cold liquid.
31. When cutting BISCUIT dough with a cutter: Do Not Twist the cutter, because it seals the edges and your biscuits won’t grow and puff up as they should.
32. To puree silky smooth SOUPS & SAUCES use a hand held blender, much easier than transferring liquids to a food processor or blender.
33. When GRILLING Meats & Vegetables make sure to drizzle them with a little olive oil on each side so they won’t stick to the grill.
34. Make sure to soak wooden SKEWERS in cold water for about 20 minutes before using on a grill to prevent burning.
35. To rehydrate SUN DRIED TOMATOES, cover them with hot stock, water or wine and let them soak for 20 minutes.
around the web