This cranberry apple crisp recipe is as much about the cranberries as it is about the apples. I am as crazy about cranberries in the fall and winter months, as I am about heirloom tomatoes in the summer.
It just feels like one moment they are everywhere and the next gone, complete extinction until next winter. So I give them as much love as I can, they are a match made in heaven paired with sweet oranges, but also with apples. This the season for both cranberries and apples, so my apple crisp gives both equal amounts of love.
If you are looking for a traditional super sweet apple crisp, this is not it. There’s a lovely balance of sweetness from the apples and tartness from the cranberries, freshened up by lively notes of citrus zest. They are magical together.
I topped them with extra walnut crisp, with the last of the walnuts my grandma sent in the spring. I say use about 2/3c of roughly chopped walnuts, because that’s how much I assume I had left and threw them all in there; however I never heard anyone complain of too many crunchy walnuts in the crisp, so If you have more add more.
Note worthy: apply the same trick to this cranberry apple crisp that I use when making fluffy biscuits: make sure the butter you are using is extra cold, you might even want to pop it in the freezer for 5 minutes or so, then use a cheese grater to grate it straight onto the flour mix; then quickly work it into the flour. So easy, and assures the butter won’t just melt in your hands and you won’t end up with huge clumps of buttery flour mix. Just trying to make your life easier kids.
Cranberry Apple Crisp Recipe
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 4 c cranberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- tsp The seeds from one vanilla bean or 2 vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Grated ginger root optional
- Zest from an orange large organic
- Zest from a lemon organic
- A dab of butter
For The Walnut Crisp
- 2/3 c flour all-purpose organic
- 1/2 c oats organic
- 2/3 c brown sugar organic
- 2/3 c walnuts roughly chopped
- 10 tbsp cold butter grated organic
- 2 leaves sprigs mint only
- Vanilla bean ice cream organic
- Caramel Sauce optional
- Preheat your oven to 375"F.
- Peel and core the apples then cut them into small cubes, about twice the size of the cranberries.
- In a large bowl combine the diced apples, cranberries, 3 tbsp of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla seeds, ginger, orange and lemon zest. Toss to combine.
- Butter an oven proof 12 inch baking dish with a dab of butter. Pour the apple mixture in it and set aside while working on the crisp.
- In a bowl combine the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and walnuts together. Using a cheese grater, grate the cold butter over the top. Using your hands quickly work the butter into the flour mixture until incorporated. Spoon the topping over the apples and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes until golden brown on top. If you like you can throw it under the broiler to get it extra crispy.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top and drizzled with some caramel sauce. Garnish with the mint leaves.
P.S. this Granola Peach & Cherry Fruit Crisp !