Are you ready for my crispy sweet potato fries recipe ? I got you 😉
Now, is it realistic to add some of these crispy sweet potato fries to your Super Bowl menu ? Well, it really depends on how many guests and how many ovens you have.
In order to get that crispy exterior you need to have plenty of space for those fries to crisp up, without touching each other. So really, I can only get 2 trays going at once. Which means three large sweet potatoes that are realistically going to satisfy no more than 3 to 4 people, as a side dish. Just something you might want to keep in mind when deciding wether or not its going to work for your party.
Very important factors in this crispy sweet potato fries recipe, is to make sure that the potatoes are very dry. Just as important is not to salt them until they come out of the oven. Salt brings out the moisture from foods and we really want to avoid that in this case. Your fries will still be delicious, just not that crispy. These rustic fries have a nice crisp exterior with a tender interior, however If all you want is a crispy stick I would suggest cutting them thinner into 1/4 inch sticks.
I seasoned these generously with plenty of smoky earthy flavors right before throwing them in the hot oven, then quickly sprinkled coarse sea salt over the top the moment they come out.
You can play around with your favorite seasonings of course. I was trying to work in flavors that will compliment the spicy Moroccan red harissa sauce from the other day. However they are perfectly delicious with an Italian twist of just salt and pepper, and a nice grating of parmigiano reggianno with a side of Arrabiata sauce for dipping. Let’s file this crispy sweet potato fries recipe in the repeat file, this one is a keeper !
- 2 large sweet potatoes organic
- 2 tbsp olive oil organic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly cracked
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- Scrub and rinse the sweet potatoes well, then make sure to dry them very well with paper towels. Preferably do this step in advance and let the potatoes air dry at room temperature for a while.
- Preheat your oven to 450”F. Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch slices then into 1/3 inch sticks. Drizzle them with a lug of the olive oil, just enough to coat them all over. Sprinkle generously with the spices, reserving the salt for when they come out of the oven.
- Using your hands toss to coat the potatoes well all over.
- Lightly spray a large baking dish with a little olive oil. Arrange the potatoes on top preferably without touching each other. Bake them in the preheated oven for 15 minutes then flip them over and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined dish and season to your taste with the sea salt. Serve the sweet potato fries with some spicy red harissa sauce for dipping.
P.S. these Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds <— To Die For !