When was the last time you had some perfect custardy egg sandwiches ? I’m Not talking about scrambled eggs on top of toast, at all. I’m talking about fluffy blankets of custardy eggs layered over some perfectly caramelised onions and sprinkled with a handful of your favorite fresh herbs. Like chives and fragrant basil and dill and thyme..
I’m talking about the perfect egg sandwiches with sweet caramelised onions that you can serve as a meal for dinner. Here’s the secret: use free range organic eggs of course, plus a couple of extra golden yolks and a splash of water. Beat them together well and then cook them. But whatever you do, don’t scramble them. Not if you are after custardy egg sandwiches anyway.
Use a wide spatula to just push the eggs towards the center while tilting the pan for the uncooked eggs to slide under. Repeat until set but the eggs appear a little undercooked. Because they will continue to cook once removed from the pan, so by the time they make it on top of your caramelized onions they will be perfect! These egg sandwiches should not take more than one minute to cook, if that much, plus another minute to assemble them.
In any case, they make a fantastic breakfast assuming you already have some caramelised onions on hand. Or just make it for dinner, seriously, open face custardy egg sandwiches will make everyone happy and satisfy an average hungry appetite.
I kept mine herbylicious, you might want to experiment with some soft goat cheese on top, I suspect that would be a fantastic burst of flavors! Report back if you try it !
Custardy Egg Sandwiches & Caramelised Onions Recipe
- 2 slices 21 grain bread organic
- 4 eggs organic
- 2 egg yolks organic
- 1 tbsp water
- A pinch of sea salt + more to taste
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pistachios roughly chopped
- 1/3 c mixed fresh herbs( chives dill, thyme, basil) , roughly chopped
- 1/2 c Caramelized onions
- 2 tsp salted butter organic
- In a small bowl beat together the eggs, sea salt and water until completely incorporated.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium low flame. Add the butter and swirl around the pan to cover the entire surface.
- Add the beaten eggs to the pan and let them set for a minute. Do not scramble. Once you can see the bottom has set use a spatula and push the eggs from the sides of the pan towards the middle, allowing the uncooked eggs on the top to slide underneath the cooked eggs.
- Tilt the skillet to help the uncooked eggs slide around, and remove from heat once the eggs seem barely undercooked.
- Meanwhile toast or grill the bread and warm up the Caramelized onions. Divide the Caramelized onions between the 2 slices of bread.
- Use a flat spatula to scoop the eggs out of the skillet and set on top of the toast layered with the Caramelized onions underneath.
- Roughly chop all the herbs and divide them on top of the eggs. Sprinkle with the pistachios, black pepper, some red pepper flakes and a few flakes of coarse sea salt like Fleur de Sel !
- Finish with a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil before serving .