A rustic heart shaped pizza topped with classic arrabbiata, adorable heart shaped pepperoni and fresh basil.
I couldn’t help it you guys, I gave into the pressure and got all romantic on you with a heart shaped pizza with my homemade arrabiata sauce. It is Valentine’s weekend, plus aren’t hearts so cute ?
So, In case you express your love via food as yours truly, this heart shaped pizza is for you!
I’ve never been one for crowded restaurants on special occasions, plus who says you have to go out on Valentine’s Day? Better get messy and have a heart shaped pizza party at home. Stupidly easy to make, but I swear it taste better just because of the way it looks. You’ll see, you’ll be making it all year round.
Gotta make a batch of the ultimate Italian thin crust pizza dough for this one, and get the kids involved to shape some cute pepperoni hearts.
How to make pepperoni hearts:
- Fold a slice of pepperoni in half.
- Use your kitchen sheers and cut around a tear drop shape like in the image below.
- Unfold and voila: cutest pepperoni hearts ever!
If you want to go vegetarian, whip up a smooth pesto sauce, top with fresh Buffalo mozzarella and tomatoes. Best homemade pesto pizza in existence, I swear on my saffron!
Do I sound like an infomercial ? Me thinks so, but I’m passionate about my pizza you guys, can’t help it! And the BatMan hasn’t ordered take out in who knows how long, because he is hooked on homemade thin and crispy pizza crust.
Things to remember:
- Make sure your oven and pizza stone are preheated together for at least one hour before cooking your pizza. You want crispy crust ? Gotta cook your pizza dough on a super hot pizza stone!
- Go easy on the sauce, you are making an extra thin pizza crust and a little goes a long way.
Heart Shaped Pizza
- 1/2 batch Italian pizza dough
- 1/2 c basil leaves fresh
- 1.5 c arrabiata sauce or basil pesto
- 1.5 lb mozzarella cheese low moisture
- 1/2 c all purpose flour for sprinkling
- 1/2 lb pepperoni thinly sliced
- Meanwhile preheat your oven with the pizza stone inside to the highest temperature it will go, usually about 500”F.
- Sprinkle some flour on a large pastry board or your kitchen counter.
- Place the pizza dough on top and sprinkle some flour all over the top. Using the palms of your hands press down on the dough until flat. Gently pick it up by the two upper corners and give it a gentle shake to stretch in a heart like shape.
- Place it back on the counter ant gently pinch the top in the middle to create the heart like outline. Let your artistic genius loose ;). (You can also use a knife to cut a V-shape from the dough and discard that piece of dough).
- Sprinkle your pizza peel or a piece of cardboard with some flour and transfer the heart shaped dough on top.
- Spoon a thin layer of the arrabbiata sauce on top leaving about 3/4 inch from the edges. Sprinkle with the cheese then layer with the heart shaped pepperoni.
- Gently shake the pizza peel/cardboard and transfer the pie to the preheated pizza stone in the oven.
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the dough is cooked to your liking.Serve sprinkled with the fresh basil.