An easy potato leek soup recipe, made with tons of caramelized leeks, thyme, potatoes and just a touch of cream. Served with pan seared andouille sausage but ham or bacon are also popular choices.
I have a super simple, easy potato leek soup recipe I’ve been waiting to share with you.
And today it’s the perfect day because It rained in Los Angels. Like for real kind of rain kids, bubbles and all, incredible!
This is how I get the Batman to eat leeks by the way, via this insanely delicious but easy potato leek soup. You know he is against all things from the onion family, ironically this is now his favorite soup. Teeheehee, i am sneaky like that and so proud of it, since I pulled it off with my immunity leek & chard soup as well. Yeah!
There are very few ingredients in this recipe, but if you execute it right you really got yourself the most delicious, comforting and healthy soup this fall. Don’t let that drizzle of cream fool you, it is simply a garnish and a nice touch and you won’t even miss a thing if you leave it out completely. You can make it healthy, vegan, without any cream.
Secret #1 of this easy potato leek soup: the leeks ! Use the largest leek you can find at the market and make sure to saute it well until it starts to caramelize at the edges. This is how you get the most flavor out of it.
Secret #2: thyme! Use lots of it, and use some fresh leaves for garnish. Thyme and potatoes make magic together, so you wanna know it is in there.
I’ve been looking forward to finally share this soup, which I actually made as soon as we got back from our Sicily travel adventure. What makes this easy potato leek soup extra extra special is that little old pot you see in the photos. It belonged to my grandpa (the man in the photo) , and it now lives in our kitchen at the shack, holding at least 40 years of rustic kitchen magic in that banged up enamel interior. I have a couple more chipped old bowls, patiently waiting to make their appearance at our wooden dinner table, and eventually here on the food blog.
Easy Potato Leek Soup Recipe: caramelized leeks & golden potatoes pureed together in a silky soup with pan seared andouille sausage.
- 1 leek extra large, sliced
- 2 lb golden potatoes diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 7 c vegetable stock or water
- 6 sprigs thyme + more for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp Fresh Chives for garnish snipped
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 6 oz chicken andouille sausage optional
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Wash and slice the leeks into small slices.
- Place a heavy bottom soup pot on medium low flame. Add the olive oil and the sliced leeks with a pinch of sea salt. Sautee the leeks slowly for about 15 minutes until they start to get some color. Reserve some for garnish at this point if desired.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrot, thyme and bay leaf. Cover with the stock or water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook on gentle flame until the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs and using a hand held blender purée the soup to your liking.
- Meanwhile add a drop of oil to a hot cast iron skillet and sear the andouille sausage until golden on both sides.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with some of the heavy cream. Top with the seared andouille sausage and and garnish with the reserved leeks, chives and thyme. Serve with freshly cracked black pepper on top and a drizzle of really good extra virgin olive oil.
You’ll Also Love: