Easy Potato Leek Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
An easy potato leek soup recipe, made with tons of caramelized leeks, thyme, potatoes and just a touch of cream. Served with pan seared andouille sausage but ham or bacon are also popular choices.
I have a super simple, easy potato leek soup recipe I’ve been waiting to share with you.
And today it’s the perfect day because It rained in Los Angels. Like for real kind of rain kids, bubbles and all, incredible!
This is how I get the Batman to eat leeks by the way, via this insanely delicious but easy potato leek soup. You know he is against all things from the onion family, ironically this is now his favorite soup. Teeheehee, i am sneaky like that and so proud of it, since I pulled it off with my immunity leek & chard soup as well. Yeah!
There are very few ingredients in this recipe, but if you execute it right you really got yourself the most delicious, comforting and healthy soup this fall. Don’t let that drizzle of cream fool you, it is simply a garnish and a nice touch and you won’t even miss a thing if you leave it out completely. You can make it healthy, vegan, without any cream.
Secret #1 of this easy potato leek soup: the leeks ! Use the largest leek you can find at the market and make sure to saute it well until it starts to caramelize at the edges. This is how you get the most flavor out of it.
Secret #2: thyme! Use lots of it, and use some fresh leaves for garnish. Thyme and potatoes make magic together, so you wanna know it is in there.
I’ve been looking forward to finally share this soup, which I actually made as soon as we got back from our Sicily travel adventure. What makes this easy potato leek soup extra extra special is that little old pot you see in the photos. It belonged to my grandpa (the man in the photo) , and it now lives in our kitchen at the shack, holding at least 40 years of rustic kitchen magic in that banged up enamel interior. I have a couple more chipped old bowls, patiently waiting to make their appearance at our wooden dinner table, and eventually here on the food blog.
Easy Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- 1 leek extra large, sliced
- 2 lb golden potatoes diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 7 c vegetable stock or water
- 6 sprigs thyme + more for garnish
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp Fresh Chives for garnish snipped
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 6 oz chicken andouille sausage optional
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Wash and slice the leeks into small slices.
- Place a heavy bottom soup pot on medium low flame. Add the olive oil and the sliced leeks with a pinch of sea salt. Sautee the leeks slowly for about 15 minutes until they start to get some color. Reserve some for garnish at this point if desired.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrot, thyme and bay leaf. Cover with the stock or water and bring to a simmer.
- Cook on gentle flame until the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and thyme sprigs and using a hand held blender purée the soup to your liking.
- Meanwhile add a drop of oil to a hot cast iron skillet and sear the andouille sausage until golden on both sides.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with some of the heavy cream. Top with the seared andouille sausage and and garnish with the reserved leeks, chives and thyme. Serve with freshly cracked black pepper on top and a drizzle of really good extra virgin olive oil.
You’ll Also Love:
This looks heavenly! Leaks don’t get enough credit on the streets lol glad you are a lover of them too!
I agree, I’m having a full blown love affair with the leeks at this moment in time 😉
Well… I love potatoes in soup and I LOVE thyme! So this recipe sounds and looks amazing in my opinion! This will be perfect for the winter that’s coming soon!
This is all about the leeks, I have developed a new obsession with them, I constantly pick sone up at the market now.
I totally 100% LOVE leeks! This soup looks amazing and I totally agree about the caramelized edges of it. And the swirl of cream at the end is just rich enough to make everything pop. Love it!
So we just made this soup and I can’t get enough. I’ve never had such a flavorful potato soup in my life, that sausage on top just makes it perfect. Wish we made more .
Same thing happened to me , I wish I’d made more ha 😉
Potato leek soup is my next to absolute favorite soup ever. I love your recipe and it’s all I’ll think about until I make it for myself.
You know I Love you Maureen, I am 100% with you on potato and leek soup, just perfection of flavors.