Egg pizza recipe perfection for the ultimate Sunday morning breakfast of your dreams. Runny golden yolks, garlic spinach, Prosciutto di Parma and creamy ricotta cheese. Plus I have the perfect caramelized onions to sprinkle over the top.
This egg pizza recipe right here is why I save the leftovers from the week.
Because let’s be honest, who’s going to caramelize onions on Sunday morning ? Not me that’s for sure. So I make them a day or two in advance and can look forward to Sunday breakfast. Or brunch If I’m being realistic. Ha!
I apply my usual pizza secrets to this one as well, which includes baking the pizza pie on a hot pizza stone for a few minutes before adding my toppings.
In the case of this egg pizza recipe I still suggest making a thin pie, but not extra thin so it can hold your toppings and that gorgeous egg on top.
- bake the pizza pie brushed with olive and a grating of Parmigiano reggianno for 3 minutes.
- brush it with a thin layer of the arrabbiata sauce.
- add good sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.
- the crucial step: leave a tiny well in the center of this pizza pie to crack in the egg. So basically you want it surrendered by a little bit of cheese to keep it in place.
Easy peasy, right ? Look at how awesome this egg pizza turned out!
Now, in order for your pizza to turn out perfect, you need to pay attention to the timing:
- It takes the egg about 6-7 minutes to set in a 500”F.
- If your oven goes up to 600”F then it will take less time, so adjust accordingly.
Meanwhile, sautee your garlic spinach and warm up the caramelized onions. You want to put these over the top of the egg pizza when it comes out of the oven so they don’t overcook.
Same goes for the Prosciutto di Parma, you want it chilled and draped over the top of the pizza. Then you spoon a few dollops of creamy ricotta cheese, again chilled, and a few drops of arrabiata sauce.That egg tough…
The yolk is perfectly set and just a little bit creamy in the center, just enough to run a little bit to meet that ricotta and arrabbiata sauce. This is the pizza you want to make for someone really special, someone who deserves it, like yourself 😉
Don’t forget about the red pepper flakes over the top, and I almost typed a glass of wine, but remembered this is a breakfast egg pizza recipe teetheehee
Egg Pizza Recipe
- 1 batch rustic pizza dough
- 6 organic eggs
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 c arrabiata sauce
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c parmigiano reggianno grated
- 1 c caramelized onions
- 1 lb sauteed garlic spinach
- 6 oz prosciutto di Parma
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat your oven to 500”F or as high as it will go with a pizza stone in it.
- Follow the instructions for the best rustic pizza dough recipe 🙂
- Stretch your pizza pies and lightly brush them with olive oil. Sprinkle with some parmigiano reggianno over the top.
- Transfer the pizza pie to the preheated pizza stone in the oven sprinkled with some flour or cornmeal. Bake for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes have passed spoon a thin layer of arrabbiata sauce in the middle and sprinkle with some of the mozzarella cheese. Leave a small well in the center for the egg.
- Crack one egg in the middle of the pizza and sprinkle a little extra mozzarella around it to help keep it in place. Continue baking for 7 to 8 minutes until the egg is set to your liking.
- Once your pizza comes out of the oven sprinkle it over the top with the caramelized onions, some of the garlic spinach and dollops of fresh ricotta cheese. Drape the prosciutto di Parma on top and drizzle the entire pizza with some of the arrabbiata sauce. Serve with red pepper flakes on top.
- Repeat with the remaining pizza pies and enjoy !
You’ll Also Love: