Healthy, gluten free Hawaiian poke bowls for the Goddess in you, traditionally made with wild sashimi grade yellowfin tuna, but today I gave it a spin with wild caught marlin and fresh strawberry salsa.
What is Poke ?
Poke, pronounced ‘po-kay,’ meaning “ to slice or cut “, a Hawaiian raw fish salad marinated with soy sauce, sesame oil and seaweed, usually served over rice as an appetizer. I like to think of it as the Hawaiian version of ceviche.
You could make this with a mix of tuna and salmon or octopus as well, and serve it over chilled quick cook brown rice for extra nutrition. Really nice if you top it with a mango avocado salsa too.
Keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days, but in this recipe do not add the strawberry salsa until serving.
My first introduction to poke was on the island of Kauai Hawaii, where you can pretty much order it in any surf shack and take it to go on the beach, savoring every single bite while listening to the waves crash into the shore. Oh, the life, I tell you..
Traditionally made with tuna, but you’ll see that I used Marlin in my poke bowls. Because the BatMan caught it of course, and there is no way I can buy anything better at the market than that wild caught fresh belly meat. Also, I am convinced that Marlin has to be the tastiest fish in the ocean, meaty and clean, there is absolutely nothing fishy about a Marlin. I hope that makes sense, since I am talking about fish and all..
The downside is that you most likely won’t be able to find Marlin steaks at the grocery store. I don’t think I have ever seen Marlin at the fish counter ever. Have you ?
But, don’t you be sad about it kids, because you can get some pretty wonderful wild caught ahi tuna steaks, and those are just perfect for our Goddess Poke Bowls.
Why I’m Crazy in Love with the Goddess Poke Bowls:
- it consists of the best cut of wild marlin or tuna
- it is dressed lightly in a Tamari, orange, chili sesame dressing, delicious!
- loaded with strawberry salsa
- gluten free
- protein packed + low in calorie
- high in Omega-3s
I mean, where are all my Goddesses at ? Let me see you chop and dice, then sprinkle your Goddess strawberry salsa all over this ultimate poke!
Goddess Poke Bowls Recipe
- 1 lb wild marlin or tuna sashimi grade
- 5 tbsp tamari gluten free soy sauce low sodium
- 1/4 c freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 chile pepper diced
- 1/3 c cilantro leaves
- the zest from 1/2 an orange organic
- 3 scallions diced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil or extra virgin olive oil ( cold pressed + unrefined + organic )
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp poppy seeds optional
- 1 batch of this Strawberry Salsa
- 2 tbsp cilantro blossoms for garnish optional
- Dice the marlin or tuna into half inch cubes and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the soy sauce, orange juice,zest, lime juice and sesame or olive oil to the bowl with the fish. Using a spatula gently toss to coat.
- Add the chile pepper, scallions and sesame seeds and give it another gentle toss. Adjust seasonings with sea salt if needed, cover tightly and refrigerate while making the salsa.
- While the poke is chilling in the fridge, make the strawberry salsa according to the recipe directions.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the poke with the fresh cilantro and give it a gentle toss.
- Divide the poke between 4 bowls and spoon the strawberry salsa on top. Garnish with the poppy seeds and extra sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve over a cold citrusy bed of rice or on its own.
- Garnish with cilantro blossoms.
You’ll Also Love: