Last night I made us a green peas soup with spinach and goat cheese. Let me just tell you how good this fridge clean up was.
I honestly did not plan to make this, but long day and you know how those are. I needed something quick and healthy with leftovers from the fridge. Thankfully i have a few containers of herbs in the yard so that is never really an issue, and they pretty much go on top and inside of every dish I make.
The green peas soup recipe really only happened because they were in the freezer and needed to be used. Tough I do love green peas a lot, nice protein content and that awesome wrinkle fighting Vitamin A, plus lots of Vitamin C. So I’m all about the green peas soup or stew or side dish.
I really thought I’d just be throwing together an easy green peas soup just for myself, recipe I’ll probably never share, and then something magical happened. I wilted in some of the leftover baby spinach, and crumbled some creamy goats cheese on top and sprinkled a few pretty edible flowers for garnish.
Oh my taste buds you guys, that goat cheese starts to slowly melt when it hits the hot green peas soup surface, and that is beyond words. If you like goats cheese of course. At first bite I knew I had to write down my recipe and share it, because I know there are some of you out there who will absolutely love it.
Adding spinach to the green peas soup not only packs it with more nutrients, but also gives it body and thickens it, without any flour addition or yuckies.
You know what they say about the simple things, they are the most impressive usually, just ask google about it, and this green peas soup definitely represents all that and some goat cheese on top.
Green Peas Soup Recipe with Spinach Goat cheese
- 1 leek
- 1 lb green peas fresh or frozen
- 1 c baby spinach
- 1 carrot diced
- 4 c water or vegetable stock
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp chives snipped
- Edible flowers for garnish optional
- Slice and rinse your leeks very well then dry them on a kitchen towel.
- In a heavy bottom soup pot add a lug of olive oil. Add the sliced leeks and a pinch of sat. Sauté until wilted then add the carrot. Cook together until the carrot has softened.
- Add the green peas to the pot but reserve a few for garnish.
- Add the water or vegetable stock to the pot and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the peas are warmed through and remove from heat.
- Using a hand held immersion blender puree the pea soup to your liking. Stir in the spinach and allow it to wilt from the heat. Puree some more if desired.
- Season to your taste with sea salt.
- Ladle the pea soup into bowls and tear the goat cheese over the top.
- Serve garnished with the chives, edible flowers if available and a nice drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
P.S. this Broccoli Spinach Soup <—Yummy !