Time for a healthy carrot soup kids ! As someone who grew up underprivileged to say the least, It is a real blessing to have a couple of loaded orange trees outside my kitchen door. That and a big bottle of rum. Thank you God and the Universe for all the blessings of my life, including the bottle of Rum- Amen !
I’m not much of a drinker, but I caught the taste of rum as a kid. Yes as a kid, don’t you dare judge me, it was purely medicinal ! Only used at times when I had a toothache at my grandparent’s house in the village, where there was no dentist nor running water for that matter. Imagine that! But there was always a small bottle of rum on the wooden pantry shelf. So my grandpa would let me have a sip of rum to swish around the tooth that was aching and spit it out. That rum witchcraftery (
you are right:that’s not a word) worked enough to num my pain so I could fall asleep, and fast forward in time I’m positive it influenced my affinity for all things rum. Rum filled chocolate, rum sauce and this very special healthy carrot soup with oranges rum and hints of cloves.
You see, the little blessings of life.
Today I spotted a few oranges in the garden, or maybe mandarins, or some cross in between the two… who really cares; so I say let’s just call them oranges and make a healthy carrot soup with them.
I quartered one of them and poked each quarter with a whole clove. Then I roasted them with some beautiful heirloom carrots, scallions and herbs until caramelized. Then I turned them into a smooth rum infused healthy carrot soup with a nice kick from a few slices of a lonely red chile pepper I found in the garden.
It was beyond delicious, because oranges and rum really love each other and it really shows in this one. Who says a healthy carrot soup can not insanely tasty ? Bring it !
Healthy Carrot Soup Recipe with Orange & Rum
- 10 large carrots organic
- 4 scallions organic
- 10 thyme sprigs
- 3 leaves bay
- 1 orange quartered
- 4 cloves whole
- 10 peppercorns
- A good pinch of red pepper flakes to your taste
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c orange juice freshly squeezed
- 1 qt . vegetable stock organic
- 1/4 c orange liqueur or rum
- 1 red chile pepper for garnish
- leaves Basil for garnish
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425"F. Cut the carrots into 1 inch thick rounds and the scallions in 2 inch pieces.
- Pierce the orange wedges with the cloves and squeeze them over the carrots. Transfer everything to a roasting dish together with the bay leaf, thyme, red pepper flakes and peppercorns. Drizzle 3 tbsp of olive oil over the top and toss to coat. Roast in the preheated oven until caramelized at the edges, for about 1 hour stirring them around half way.
- If the roasting dish is flame proof then just transfer the dish to the stove top, otherwise transfer the roasted vegetables to a soup pot.
- Discard the oranges,bay leaf and thyme and pour in the rum or orange liqueur. Bring to a simmer and allow the rum to reduce by half.
- Pour in the Orange juice, vegetable stock and bring to a simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and using a hand-held immersion blender purée the soup until smooth. Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with some fresh basil, red chile pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
P.S. This Roasted Pear Soup <–To Die For !!