Easy homemade Caesar salad recipe – creamy, silky to die for egg yolk and olive oil dressing.
Just popping in real quick today to share an easy homemade Caesar salad recipe with you.
I hadn’t really planned this but I went to the store with the intent to pick up some Cesar salad dressing in a bottle. Because you know the Batman loves Cesar salads a lot, and I figured that makes things easy for me in the kitchen on a Tuesday.
But then I read the label, and the stuff i saw in there: forget about it ! I put that wanna be Caesar salad dressing right back on the shelf where it belongs.
Picked up a bunch of organic romaine hearts and some edible flowers instead, and off I went to make my own homemade Caesar salad. Because nothing beats homemade, this we know for sure !
I already had organic eggs at home, and I’ll let you know right now: if you have a real problem with raw egg yolks, then this homemade Caesar salad recipe is not for you at all.
But for the rest of you: this is everything !
1. Make sure you have fresh organic eggs at home.
2. Do not skip the anchovies, they are the base of the flavor in a Caesar salad dressing.
3. Use extra virgin olive oil, keep it healthy.
4. Do not whisk the parmigiano reggianno cheese into the dressing, grate it on top of the salad instead.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings with sea salt and lemon juice until your taste buds are fully happy !
Ideally when you go to a good restaurant, this fantastic Caesar dressing would be whisked together right in front of your eyes, at the table, then poured over the romaine hearts. I know, right ?!
There are only a handful of ingredients in here: egg yolks, anchovies, olive oil, garlic, mustard and lemon juice. So make sure they are all the best quality you can find.
You can see from the photos that I skipped on the croutons here and opted for edible flowers instead. Just a personal choice, go crazy with the croutons if you want, I won’t judge you.
Cold grilled chicken or thin slices of steak are great choices of protein for those of you into that kind of stuff. For the rest of us, sprinkle those edible flowers like it’s Valentine’s Day. Or if Tofu is your friend then that’s your prerogative, we’re not on good terms.
But I can just eat this salad by itself, just edible flowers and a good sprinkling of parmigiano reggianno over the top.
Because when you make your own homemade Caesar salad recipe, it is pretty close to perfection, it stands on its own !
I almost sprinkled some toasted pine nuts on top because you know me and pine nuts ! but then decide to keep it just a basic easy homemade Caesar salad recipe so you can all make it your own with the toppings that rock your world !
P.S. I also made us a burrata salad today with blood oranges, pesto and pine nuts, you don’t want to miss it, so come back here tomorrow and tell me what you cooked this week !
- 2 anchovies
- 2 egg yolks organic
- 3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Sea salt to taste
- 4 Romaine lettuce hearts sliced
- 1/4 c parmigiano reggianno cheese grated
- 2 tbsp edible flowers for garnish
- Rinse and slice the romaine lettuce and allow in drain well in a colander.
- Add the anchovies to a medium size bowl and using a fork mash them together until you have a paste.
- Add the egg yolks to the bowl with the anchovies and little by little start drizzling in the olive oil while continuously whisking with a whisk.
- Half way through whisk in the mustard and continue drizzling in the olive oil until fully incorporated into a creamy dressing.
- Whisk in the garlic and lemon juice and adjust seasonings to your taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss the romaine lettuce with the Cesar dressing and serve sprinkled with edible flowers, parmigiano reggianno cheese and freshly cracked black pepper on top !
P.S. This Tomato Puttanesca Salad !