An easy step by step guide on how to make crispy chicken wings at home, without frying them! Simply oven baked, without any flour, batter or yuckies!
You want to make crispy wings that are healthy, moist on the inside but with extra crispy skin, and without deep-frying them ?
The secret to crispy wings is getting rid of the moisture!
Then simply bake them at high temperature on an oven safe Cooling Rack! (<-amazon)
By roasting the wings on a cooling rack they will get even crisper, as all the moisture and fat will drip away into the bottom of the pan, so much so that you won’t even need to drain them on paper towels when done. They will be perfectly ready to be dunked in your favorite sauce. The cooling rack is everything! (<-amazon)
No flour, no breading, and no baking powder needed.
Whatever you do, don’t even think of marinading! Not if you want them super crisp anyways. Wait till the end to add your favorite sauces on top:
- chili-lime butter
- argentinian chimichurri sauce
- sweet chili sauce
- peanut sauce
- blackberry sauce
- honey soy garlic sauce
- Moroccan red harissa
- brown butter sage
- arrabiata sauce
How To Make Baked Crispy Chicken Wings
- 15 Chicken Wings organic (tips discarded)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Spanish paprika (sweet or smoked)
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Pat the chicken wings dry very well with paper towels. Arrange them on a tray, preferably in a single layer and place them in the refrigerator to air dry overnight, or at least for a few hours. (This step is crucial to get rid of the extra moisture and obtain that crispy wings exterior we are after.)
- Preheat your oven to 450”F for at least 20 minutes. Makes sure the oven temperature actually reached 450”F before baking the wings.
- Bring the wings to room temperature and let them rest on the kitchen counter while your oven is heating up, for at least 20 minutes. Pat the wings dry again with paper towels to remove any extra moisture.
- Line your largest roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place an oven proof cooling rack on top.
- In a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, black pepper, sea salt and paprika. Toss the wings to coat well in the oil and spice mix, then place them skin side down on the cooling rack without touching each other.
- Bake the wings for 15 minutes at 450”F then flip them over without letting the heat escape from the oven. Bake them an additional 15 minutes until crispy golden brown all over. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces.
You’ll Also Love: