Finally this Italian grilled chicken happened, finally ! And you know how it is: I don’t always eat chicken, but when I do it has to be irresistible !
How I see it is, If I am going to cheat on my vegetarian ways, it better be really worth it. That is definitely the case with this Italian grilled chicken, drizzled generously with buttery roasted red pepper pesto, I mean I can’t even begin to describe the flavors going on here.
I feel that this is the Italian version of my other perfect grilled chicken, drizzled with the mango chimichurri sauce. One takes you on a flavor trip to Latin America, and the other one to Italy. Kind of like a tasty dream, If that makes any sense at all, I sure hope it does… If not, I’m sure you’ll understand as soon as you take your first bite of this tender lemon marinated heaven.
After I post this Italian Grilled Chicken recipe I need to go and meditate or do some yoga moves or something, because i’m suffering from a terrible case of ADD. Like, major wires crossing in my brain every second. Between riding my bike to chopping mangos , while still managing to break my brand new awesome glass pitcher all the way from freaking Transylvania, I could actually cry over that one. And all that while still trying to type this recipe, so you guys can make it this weekend.
As you can tell, I have a lot on my plate today, so I’ll leave you with this insanely easy and delicious Italian grilled chicken that will make everyone’s life better, while I go find a quite place between my tomato plants to center myself. What ? I’m the tomato lady, don’t you forget that 😉
Oh, about those caramelize lemons on top of the chicken: totally do it ! Takes only a couple of minutes, and because I give them a nice kiss of brown sugar before hitting the hot plate, they will taste really lovely, even if all you do is squeeze them over the grilled chicken cutlets. Plus, the kids, the kids will love them !
- 1 lb chicken tenderloin
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 sprigs parsley for garnish
- 2 c roasted red pepper pesto
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest from 1 organic lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes+ more to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly cracked
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 1/4 c flat leaf Italian parsley chopped
- 5 cloves garlic smashed
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the marinade ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and spices. Add the chicken tenderloin and toss to coat well all over. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle on medium high flame. Add the chicken tenderloin and grill for about 1 or 2 minutes or so on each side, until nice grill marks form and the chicken is cooked through. About 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to cooked chicken to a platter and squeeze half a lemon over the top. Drizzle with the red pepper pesto and garnished with some fresh parsley leaves.
- While the chicken is grilling caramelize the lemon slices. Spread the brown sugar on a small plate and dip the lemon slices in it to coat lightly. Grill them on the cast iron plate until golden caramelize, but make sure not to burn them or they will turn bitter.