The largest jumbo prawns dressed in smoky spices and dipped in an exotic basil mango chimichurri sauce !
I have been really looking forward to sharing these jumbo prawns with you guys.
I mean these are the largest jumbo prawns my eyes have ever seen. Really, more like eating a small lobster tail. Unreal !
There were so many recipe ideas flying through my head, and my brain kept going to this basil mango chimichurri I usually make for Surf and Turf on date night. I also coat a bunch of soba noodles in the same magical sauce and sprinkle with oven roasted cherry tomatoes.
But because these jumbo prawns were so exquisite, i wanted them on their own. I wanted to saveur each perfectly seasoned bite, just dipped in this mango chimichurri. This exotic shrimp appetizer is my new favorite thing ! I mean, look at those things !
All i did was coat the jumbo prawns in olive oil and dress them with lots of flavor from smoked paprika, garlic and onion powder, sea salt of course and fragrant oregano. Already perfect just like that, but once you dip them in the mango chimichurri you take them to a wow 5 star restaurant appetizer for the Bosses. If you know what i mean .. 😉
Seriously you guys, it is always the simple things that steal my heart. And i totally know this is not an every day appetizer, not in my world, not yet anyways, but for date night or Sunday dinner totally worth the splurge. Aren’t they so cute ?
The mango chimichurri is a really perfect sauce. I used basil, parsley and cilantro for a burst of fresh flavors. I know some people aren’t fans of cilantro at all, so you can do a 50/50 of basil and parsley, or just go 100 % basil. I’ve done that one many times and it is fabulous ! A favorite with the girls i must say, especially when you throw a couple of these jumbo prawns in the middle, so incredibly delicious !
And if you loved these jumbo prawns, you’ll also love:
Jumbo Prawns Recipe with Mango Chimichurri
- 1 lb Jumbo Prawns 6-7 ct
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 batch this Basil Mango Chimichurri
- 2 leaves sprigs basil only
- Peel and clean the prawns but keep the tails on. Use paper towels to dry them very well.
- Add the prawns to a mixing bowl and drizzle well with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt, garlic and onion powder, smoked paprika, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Use your hand and make sure to coat the prawns in all the seasonings all over.
- Allow them to rest at room temperature for 2o minutes while working on the mango chimichurri.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on medium flame. Once hot add the prawns without touching each other. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes per side depending on the size of the prawns, until they curl up and start turning pink.
- Make sure not to overcook them or they will be rubbery.
- Spoon some of the basil mango chimichurri on a plate and top with the shrimp. Drizzle some more mango chimichurri on top and garnish with the fresh basil. Finish with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil .Saver the jumbo prawns with a glass of white wine !