“There’s a few things I’ve learned in life: always throw salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for good luck, and fall in love whenever you can. “ -Alice Hoffman
Lavender is in full bloom in Southern California. Taking a quick jog up the hill even on a gloomy day has become a pleasure, if for no other reason than the beautiful sight of lavender bushes in almost every front yard. Someone once said: ” As rosemary is to the Spirit, so Lavender is to the Soul ” , I couldn’t agree more. So I grabbed a couple of Spanish lavender plants for my containers at the nursery this weekend, and I can’t wait for some fresh-cut lavender flowers and a pretty bowl of lavender sugar. Which reminded me it was time to update the Herbs & Spices section of this site, and it is all about gorgeous purple-blue lavender.
Lavender Guide – Facts & Uses.
2. Lavender has purple-blue flowers with a strong aroma , best used sparingly.
3. Lavender has a sweet floral aroma with lemon notes. Both flowers and leaves have culinary uses.
4. To dry lavender hang stems in small bunches in an airy area. When completely dry simply rub the flowers off the stems with the palms of your hands and stir in small spice jars in your pantry.
5. Grow Lavender in a sunny location with well-drained soil. Lavender does great in containers as well on a sunny patio and makes a beautiful garden plant.
6. English Lavender has a lower camphor content than French Lavender, so it is better suited for cooking.
7. Just like rosemary, Lavender needs to be use sparingly due to its potency.
8. Make Lavender sugar by adding a few dry lavender flowers to your sugar jar.
9. Use fresh lavender flowers to garnish a pretty salad or cake.
10. Lavender is a main ingredient in the Herbes De Provence spice mix, together with thyme, rosemary, marjoram, savory and oregano.
11. Lavender pairs well with berries, plums, lamb and chicken dishes.
12. Lavender essential oils are very well-known for their aromatherapy and health benefits; used for depression, insomnia, aches and pains, circulation disorders, acne, and to improve overall mental well-being.