Not your average mushroom meatloaf. The most tender, flavorful chuck roast mixed with ricotta cheese and tomato sauce for the most spectacular Italian meatloaf of your life. Ricotta is everything kids !
This mushroom meatloaf, because it’s been almost 3 months that I’ve been trying to be a vegetarian and I have to be honest about it: one of the hardest things I’ve ever attempted to do.
Yes I feel fine most of the times, but then I have random periods of starvation where I feel like my body simply isn’t getting all the nutrients it needs to function great, and my brain is kind of pissed off. I still enjoy cooking meat for Batman and I swear to you I get high on those smells like a junkie and sneak in a lick of the steak when nobody is watching.
Like the other night, I made this perfect mushroom meatloaf that reminded me of being a kid around the holidays, because my dad used to make this every Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Of course it’s probably the first time I actually made it perfect, the way it’s suppose to be passed down to generations and here I am sniffing the oven and licking the sides of the loaf like an animal.
Honestly I don’t know what’s gonna happen, for now I take it one day at a time overdosing on cheese and carbs(the really tasty kind ) to replace the meat in my life which I’m sure can’t be that great for you. But I’m learning to eat better and healthier and meditate more because that should probably help my carnivore thoughts.
Meanwhile, for those of you enjoying a piece of holy meat I strongly recommend trying this mushroom meatloaf recipe. It used to taste like a fluffy cloud of insanely flavorful meat, (when I licked the sides this last time it was checking out even better ) and the smell alone was to die for.
I must insist on using organic meats though, not only are they more nutritious, way better tasting but also the animal has had a decent life up to this point and enjoyed freedom and a good diet.
This is a mushroom meatloaf kids, but really, If mushrooms aren’t your thing just leave them out. You’ll still enjoy the magic of the tomato sauce in this recipe, but please don’t get any crazy ideas and dump your meatloaf in a pot of tomato sauce, because that is just a huge meatball in a weird shape, and why would you wanna do that ? Just make some of these out of this world ricotta meatballs instead !
Why We Love It:
- This is not just a mushroom meatloaf, it is the fluffiest most tender meatloaf on the planet, tanks to the one and only: Ricotta Cheese. Because ricotta is everything !
- It is made with only organic chuck roast beef, no need to use pork here tough you could but why would you ?!
- It has Tomato Sauce in the mix for extra moisture and then brushed with some extra tomato sauce to keep the top moist but still caramelize around the edges. Perfection !That stuff doesn’t happen to meatballs.
- This mushroom meatloaf is so easy to make yet such a showstopper on the dinner table. Perfect holiday centerpiece too.
- This is without a doubt the best mushroom meatloaf I have ever eaten If I say so myself !
- 2 lb ground beef organic grass fed
- 1 c of these mushrooms in white wine
- 3/4 c ricotta cheese
- 3/4 c this Arrabiata tomato sauce
- 1 yellow bell pepper - diced
- 4 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 c panko bread crumbs
- 1 slice bread soaked in 1/3 c milk then squeezed
- 1 organic egg -large or 2 small ones
- 1/4 c flat leaf parsley -chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt + ore to taste
- black pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 350 "F
Reserve 1/4 c of the tomato sauce.
In a large bowl mix all of the above ingredients until nicely incorporated making sure not to overwork the meat. Transfer the mixture to an oiled roasting dish and form into a loaf as shown in the photos.
Brush the loaf with the reserved tomato sauce sauce and roast in the preheated oven for 1 hour for a well done roast, or 5o minutes for a medium roast.
Allow the meatloaf to rest and cool for 10 minutes before slicing into it. Serve with mashed potatoes and extra tomato sauce.
P.S. This Pappardelle Ragu Alla Bolognese <— The Best !