Fun interesting facts about the nutmeg spice!
What is nutmeg ?
A highly aromatic spice with a woody bittersweet flavor and a rich warm aroma, made out of the seeds of a tropical tree. Not a Nut!
Can you imagine the holidays without the nutmeg spice ? Not me!
I love it in my eggnog, coconut milk latte and my super creamy Alfredo sauce. I have it in my spice cabinet year round right next to my peppercorns, and grate it over garlic spinach every chance I get. This is definitely a cool little spice worth keeping around.
While working on my holiday recipes I dug up some really interesting nutmeg facts, take a look I think you’ll enjoy learning about this cool spice.
7 Cool Nutmeg Facts:
1. In very large quantities nutmeg has a hallucinogenic effect.
2. The nutmeg tree is native to the Banda Islands of Indonesia and it produces two different spices: Nutmeg and Mace.
3. Whole nutmeg keeps almost indefinitely stored in airtight containers, but ground nutmeg loses its flavor very quick.
4. Banda nutmeg and mace are superior to the West Indian ones.
5. Mace is much more costly than nutmeg because its yield is about ten times less that of nutmeg.
6. Nutmeg goes well with both sweet and savory dishes: desserts, fruit, spinach, cheese fillings, veal, pork, pumpkin, eggs, cabbage.
7. Always purchase whole nutmeg (<–amazon ) and grate it as needed.
You’ll Also Love: