Open Faced Tomato Avocado Sandwiches with Goat Cheese
- 8 slices olive bread (small)
- 2 heirloom tomatoes (large ones, red and yellow)
- 1 large California avocado (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs for garnish
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
Goat Cheese Spread
- 8 oz goat cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper or to taste
Make the Goat Cheese Spread
- Use a small food processor and whip the goat cheese together with the olive oil and the herbs until smooth and incorporated. Best to use the pulse button at first. Taste and season more with sea salt and black pepper then refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made ahead, just make sure to bring it to room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
Assemble the Sandwiches
- Slice the olive bread into thin slices and use a butter knife or even a spoon to slather some of the goat cheese spread on top in a relatively thin layer to your liking.
- Use a serrated knife and slice the tomatoes into 8 slices each. Peel and slice the avocado into 8 slices as well.
- Top each slice of bread with one slice of avocado, one sliced of each of the red and yellow tomatoes. Sprinkle with the sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper and garnish with the fresh herbs.