A family style shellfish paella risotto recipe !
Out of the blue I had a craving for all the goodness that makes a paella a paella and the comforting creaminess of a risotto, so I figured let me try a Paella Risotto style, have my cake and eat it too.
I am probably one of the last few people left on earth who loves the constant stirring part of a creamy risotto. I really don’t buy any of those no stir risotto pots and magical rice. This is the rustic kitchen after all, it’s where we go back in time with smells, ingredients and in the case of a perfectly comforting risotto: lots of stirring!
So this weeks special from ” The Love Shack” is a fabulous Paella Risotto ! Can you handle it ? Haha ! It starts with a basic saffron risotto recipe, loaded with flavor from fresh chorizo that is pan seared to perfection, jumbo shrimp that gets to take a swim and curl up in all the juices and brown bits left by the chorizo, and fresh mussels who mingle with the perfectly al dente rice grains in a saffron broth. That’s what a Paella Risotto style is all about. Flavor, comfort and indulgence. Can’t find saffron at the market ? You can order some here from Amazon.
Those bold flavors are perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the sun dried tomatoes and green peas, however if you don’t like one of the ingredients, just leave it out. Make it a shrimp paella if that’s what your heart desires, every recipe is just a guide, your taste buds are the boss.
So this weekend pick a great movie to watch, and curl up on the couch with a bowl of this Paella Risotto and a chilled glass of white wine. Better yet, have a lunch al fresco with all your loved ones, take turns stirring this Paella Risotto, it’s definitely going to be worth it. Celebrate your life !
- 1 1/2 c Carnaroli rice or Arborio rice
- 4-5 c organic chicken stock – low sodium
- 1 small onion – diced
- 1 c dry white wine
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil for finishing the dish
- 1/2 lb fresh chorizo sausage – cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp- cleaned peeled wt tails on
- 12 large black mussels – cleaned well
- 1 c frozen green peas – heated through in the saffron infused stock
- 1/2 c sun dried tomatoes -re-hydrated or marinated chopped
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tbs flat leaf Italian Parsley or cilantro – roughly chopped
- In a sauce pan heat up the chicken stock on low flame, once it starts to simmer remove from heat and season to taste with sea salt. add the saffron threads and cover with a lid.
- In a large skillet heat up the butter and add the onion with a pinch of sea salt. Allow them to sweat on low flame until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and stir in the rice and allow it to toast for a few minutes until no longer opaque.
- Add the wine to the pan and stir until almost all is absorbed but do not let the rice dry out completely. Stir in the sun dried tomatoes and continue by adding the saffron infused stock, a ladle at a time waiting for the rice to absorb it before adding more.
- Meanwhile in a cast iron skillet heat up the olive oil and pan sear the chorizo until golden brown on all sides. Add the shrimp to the skillet and toss to coat in all those chorizo drippings and absorb its flavors. Hit it with a splash of the wine or stock to deg-laze the pan scraping the bottom with a spatula. Cook only a few minutes until the shrimp curls up and is no longer opaque.
- A few minutes before the risotto is done, with the last ladle of the stock add in the mussels. Cook until they open up and discard the ones that don’t. Remove from heat and stir in 1 tbs of cold butter for extra silkiness.
- Add the chorizo, shrimp and green peas to the pot with the risotto and mussels, gently toss to coat and serve with a nice sprinkling of the fresh parsley and a tiny drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
You’ll Also Love: