Last night I decided to throw together a quick meal with ingredients I had on hand.
There was a handful of arborio rice in my pantry, some anchovies in a little jar in the fridge, some salty capers and a handful of cherry tomatoes rolling around on the kitchen counter looking for a purpose.
Can you say Puttanesca ?
Yes, I got in my car and drove to the corner store for a cup of black olives and a chilled bottle of Pinot.
Less than an hour later this Deliciously Stinky Risotto Dinner was born !
Risotto Puttanesca Recipe
- 1 1/2 c Arborio or Carnaroli Rice
- 2 Tbs EV olive oil + 3 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs cold butter
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c minced onion
- 4 garlic cloves -grated
- 1/2 – 1/3 c white wine
- 5 c hot chicken stock
- 3 small anchovies
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes + more to taste
- 2 Tbs capers -rinsed
- 1 c black olives -sliced
- 1/2 lb cremini mushroom
- 1 1/2 c cherry tomatoes -halved
- 1/4 c Italian parsley -minced
- sea salt to taste
1. Heat up the olive oil and butter on med flame in a wide saute pan and sweat the onions with a pinch of sea salt for 10 min until softened and translucent. Add the red pepper flakes and anchovies and break them wt a wooden spoon until melted & incorporated in the oil & onions. Add the capers and 2 of the grated garlic cloves and cook another 30 seconds.
2. Stir in the arborio rice and let cook until it becomes opaque(3 min).
3. Add the sliced mushroom and a pinch of sea salt and stir.
4. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon until absorbed but do not let the rice dry out completely.
5. Start adding the stock a ladle at a time stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Once the stock has been absorb add another ladle full. You want to maintain a constant ripple during this process and never let the rice dry out completely.
6. Add the sliced olives and continue with the stock until the rice grains are tender ( about 20 minutes ). Stir in the parsley, adjust seasonings and remove from heat. Stir in 1 tbs cold butter.
7. A few minutes before your risotto is ready, heat up 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil and saute the 2 cloves of grated garlic for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and a pinch of sea salt . Let cook together for a few minutes until the tomatoes start releasing their juices but aren’t mushy. Fold them in the risotto and serve hot with a glass of cold Pinot.