Rustic Tomato Cabbage Soup Recipe with Red Lentils, gently simmered caramelized cabbage, fire roasted tomatoes in a clear broth.
Can you smell this tomato cabbage soup from your living room ?
The colors of fall and crackling of dried leaves under my feet do something magical to my soul. I could walk for hours on a beautiful fall morning, mesmerized by every tree and plant turning colors right underneath my eyes. Such incredible perfection, impossible to capture with anything but the naked eye.
The crisp morning air have me catch the fall cooking bug all over again. I find myself dusting off this rustic tomato cabbage soup recipe many times throughout the fall and winter months. It’s very hearty and filling, and as tempting as a grilled cheese sandwich might be, it really isn’t necessary.
I added red lentils to make it a main course, but sometimes I add quinoa or you may choose to use brown rice instead. You could even add some type of organic ground meat to do a take on stuffed cabbage rolls. Personally I’m doing my best to be a vegetarian, but I will throw some bits of Italian sausage in there for Batman.
Play around with the broth, I like my soups thicker with a rustic feel, but again simply add more water/stock if you like a thinner version of this tomato cabbage soup.
Also, worth noting here, if you like a clear broth make sure to keep an eye on the flame and have the soup at a gentle simmer, not boiling. Whatever the case it’s purely esthetics and won’t interfere with the taste. Otherwise you can even use crushed tomatoes instead of diced to obtain a more tomato intense broth.
Like any soup or stew, this will always taste best the next day and the day after; as all the flavors sit together and intensify.
I used a small head of fresh cabbage in this recipe, however it is equally delicious as a mix of fresh cabbage and sour kraut. Your call, your taste buds !
Toasted caraway seeds are what give this tomato cabbage soup those rustic flavors, what I always expect a cabbage soup should taste like. So whatever you do, don’t leave them out !
A rustic Tomato Cabbage Soup Recipe made with Red Lentils and gently simmered with fire roasted tomatoes in a clear broth.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 small onion
- 1 small cabbage organic thinly sliced
- 1 c red lentils organic
- 1 oz X 28 can fire roasted tomatoes diced
- 2 leaves bay
- 2-4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- fresh parsley for garnish
- a bunch of fresh dill sprigs
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- sour cream for serving optional
- 1 carrot diced
- Heat up the olive oil in a large heavy pot and sauté the onion with a pinch of sea salt until translucent. Add the caraway seeds and carrots and cook a few minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and cabbage and sauté on medium high flame until the cabbage has wilted and starts to caramelize at the edges.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, dill sprigs and tomatoes to the pot and enough water to cover everything by 2 inches.
- Bring to a simmer and add the lentils.
- Partially cover with a lid and allow to gently simmer away for about 45 minutes until the lentils are cooked through. Adjust seasonings to your taste with the sea salt and apple cider vinegar. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper on top and garnished with some fresh parsley or dill. Have a bowl of sour cream available for garnish.