Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Steak Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by SABER Grills – For the Love of Food!
Quick and easy Italian sun dried tomato pesto with basil and garlic, drizzled over perfectly grilled steak with pistachios and fresh herbs.
Because grilling season is officially here you guys. It was so hot today you can actually swim in the pool and not even be cold!
And who wants to heat up their kitchen when you can crank up the grill, buzz up an easy but oh so lovey sun dried tomato pesto spread to drizzle over a perfectly cooked steak and live your life ? Drink in hand, feet kicked up and everything!
All you need to do is bring your steaks to room temperature for even cooking. While those rest you add a bunch of lovely things into the food processor, taste and adjust a couple of times until the pesto is just perfect.
I made mine without the nuts and just sprinkled some chopped pistachios on top but you can add a handful of pine nuts, almonds, pecans or walnuts to your pesto.
You could toss a green garden salad together as a side dish, go Paleo style or toss the leftover sun-dried tomato pesto with some fluffy gnocchi or your favorite pasta. It is also really nice over grilled salmon or chicken or as a spread in a sandwich.
You can use sirloin steaks or fillets here as those cuts work great and are tender without any marinade. Just season them well all over and make sure to take the chill off of them before grilling.
What I love about it:
At the heart of all SABER grills is an advanced infrared cooking system that eliminates flare-ups and uses 30% less fuel than traditional gas grills. The system allows for true zonal cooking, so food that requires different temperatures can easily be cooked side-by-side. It also has a wide temperature range and a rapid pre-heat cycle.
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Steak Recipe
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes -marinated in olive oil and drained
- 1-2 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup parmigiano reggianno cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves -optional
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt -or to taste
For the Steaks
- 2 X 8 oz sirloin steaks -grass fed ( 1.5 inches thick)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt -or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper -freshly cracked
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp pistachios -roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives & herbs -for garnish
- Add all of the pesto ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and even garlic if desired. Add more olive oil as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use. If prepared a day in advance then bring it to room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Bring the steaks to room temperature for 15 minutes and pat them dry very well with paper towels.
- Drizzle with a lug of olive oil and sprinkle all over with the sea salt, black pepper and smoked paprika. Make sure to rub the spices all over including the sides.
- Meanwhile crank up the grill to medium high. Using a pair of tongues and add the steaks to the hot grill. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side for a 1.5 inch thick steak. Grill the sides as well for about 30 seconds each.
- Transfer the steaks to a plate and loosely cover. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving drizzled with the sun dried tomato pesto, pistachios and fresh herbs.
- Garnish with some shaved parmigiano reggianno cheese on top!
I just made your Italian sundried tomato steak recipe. It is outstanding. I added the pistachio nuts to the pesto/food processor instead of leaving them whole. That was the only change I made. I absolutely love your recipes. So full of flavor. Thank you and best regards.