What Are Peppercorns – a Lesson in Spices!
FAQ: So What Are Peppercorns ?
Peppercorns are the dried fruit of the pepper vine!
Here are some cool facts you’ll love to learn about peppercorns:
1. Black Pepper is produced from immature green berries that are briefly fermented and then dried until it becomes wrinkled and dark brown to black in color.
2. Ground pepper looses its aroma quickly so you should only purchase organic whole peppercorns and grind them as needed. (<–amazon)
3. Black pepper has a pungent fruity fragrance and woody notes, the main ingredient in Steak au Poivre!
4. Pink pepper has a fruity aroma and taste with pine notes. (<–amazon)
5. Indian Malabar is the best quality pepper.
6. When they laid siege to Rome in 408AD the Goths demanded peppercorns as part of their tribute.
7. Peppercorns were used as currency and traded ounce for ounce for gold. Wow!