Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
Healthy cucumber tomato salad with heirloom tomatoes, basil, oregano, onions and dressed in the ultimate olive oil and vinegar Italian vinaigrette.
- 2 Lb Organic Heirloom Tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 English Cucumber -seedless thinly sliced
- 6 Scallions or 1/2 cup red onion -sliced
- 2-3 Tbs red wine vinegar or lemon juice (to taste)
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt + more to taste
- Black Pepper to taste -freshly cracked
- 1/4 c basil leaves + blossoms (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme + oregano leaves for garnish (optional)
Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar or lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper together. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt, vinegar or olive oil. Taste and adjust again until the perfect acidity balance is achieved to your liking.
Pour over the sliced tomatoes, cucumber and scallions and toss to coat gently. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes before serving. Toss to coat again just before serving sprinkled with the fresh herbs.
#1. When making the vinaigrette, keep in mind that no two olive oils or vinegars will ever be the same. So taste and adjust seasonings, repeat again 11 times if you must until a perfect acidic balance is achieved.
#2. You can replace the red wine vinegar with equal amounts of apple cider vinegar.
Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 307mg | Potassium: 718mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2395IU | Vitamin C: 42.4mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.9mg