Tomato Cucumber Basil Salad
Italian style Tomato Cucumber Basil Salad made with the best of summer’s heirloom tomatoes, fragrant basil, crisp cucumber and onions tossed in a classic olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing.
Servings 4 people
- 2 Lb Organic Heirloom Tomatoes cut into wedges
- 1 English Cucumber (thinly sliced)
- 6 Scallions or 1/2 cup red onion -sliced
- 2-3 Tbs red wine vinegar or lemon juice (+ more to taste)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c basil leaves + blossoms (for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt + black pepper to taste
Slice the heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers and onions in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with a small pinch of salt and give them a gentle toss.
Drizzle the olive oil and red wine vinegar (or lemon juice) over the sliced tomatoes and cucumbers. Season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings with more vinegar and salt then stir in the fresh basil leaves. Allow the salad to sit and macerate for 5 minutes before serving.
- Make ahead - seriously not recommended! A 30 minute window is fine to give your salad time to macerate and for the flavors to marry. Anything longer that requires refrigeration is a no go as tomatoes become mealy, the cucumbers get soggy and the basil turns brown. You can still store and enjoy any leftovers but i wouldn’t serve them as the start of a meal.
- Add ins - avocado, olives, capers, crumbled vegan feta or this homemade mozzarella bocconcini. Go crazy with fresh chives, thyme or dill or toss in some Italian tomato bruschetta and turn it into a Panzanella salad.
- Measurements - there are specific measurements listed in the recipe card, however this truly is a no recipe recipe, you taste as you go. No two oils or vinegars are ever going to be exactly the same so taste as you go, adjust seasonings 11 times until a perfect balance of Salt + Fat + Acid is achieved.