Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Steak Recipe
Quick and easy Italian sun dried tomato pesto with basil and garlic, drizzled over perfectly grilled steak with pistachios and fresh herbs.
Servings 2 people
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 4 oz sun dried tomatoes -marinated in olive oil and drained
- 1-2 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup parmigiano reggianno cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves -optional
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt -or to taste
For the Steaks
- 2 X 8 oz sirloin steaks -grass fed ( 1.5 inches thick)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt -or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper -freshly cracked
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp pistachios -roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh chives & herbs -for garnish
Add all of the pesto ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth to your liking. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt and even garlic if desired. Add more olive oil as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use. If prepared a day in advance then bring it to room temperature for about 10 minutes before serving.
Bring the steaks to room temperature for 15 minutes and pat them dry very well with paper towels.
Drizzle with a lug of olive oil and sprinkle all over with the sea salt, black pepper and smoked paprika. Make sure to rub the spices all over including the sides.
Meanwhile crank up the grill to medium high. Using a pair of tongues and add the steaks to the hot grill. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side for a 1.5 inch thick steak. Grill the sides as well for about 30 seconds each.
Transfer the steaks to a plate and loosely cover. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving drizzled with the sun dried tomato pesto, pistachios and fresh herbs.
Garnish with some shaved parmigiano reggianno cheese on top!