The perfect vegan roasted red pepper pasta sauce to toss with your favorite pasta, spread on a pizza, in a sandwich or spoon over some grilled chicken, zucchini patties, salmon, steak or fish.
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 4 red bell peppers -large
- 1/3 c extra virgin olive oil + more as needed
- 3 cloves garlic -grated
- 1 tsp sea salt + more to your taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- The juice from 2 limes or lemons (or red wine vinegar)
- 10 leaves basil -organic
- 3/4 lb pasta -your favorite noodles
- 1 c reserved pasta water
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes -optional
- Preheat a grill or cast iron griddle and charr the bell peppers until black on all sides. Transfer to a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. When cool enough to handle peel and discard the skins together with the seeds and core.
- Transfer the roasted peppers to a food processor together with the garlic, olive oil, smoked paprika and lemon juice. Puree until smooth and season to taste with the sea salt and red pepper flakes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package, making sure to reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Toss the pasta with the roasted pepper sauce, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the basil leaves. Serve at room temperature.