Orange Cranberry Sauce Recipe
The best homemade cranberry sauce with fresh orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla!
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (maple syrup or honey to taste)
- 2 oranges juiced
- the zest from 1 orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Add the cranberries, sugar or maple syrup and orange juice to a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and cook on low flame for 5 minutes or until all the cranberries burst. Stir in the vanilla & orange zest and cook for one more minute.
Remove the sauce from heat and allow to cool + thicken. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate.
- Variations - instead of vanilla you could add about two teaspoons of finely chopped crystalized ginger or 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Serving suggestions - this sauce pairs well with the usual holiday suspects like mashed potatoes, green bean casserole and biscuits. Leftovers are delicious on your morning toast or spooned on top of a granola bowl, pancakes or to fill some crepes.
- Storage - the sauce keeps well in the fridge up to a week and can be frozen for up to 4 months. Just thaw it out in the fridge the night before you plan using it.
Calories: 549kcal | Carbohydrates: 139g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 8mg | Potassium: 771mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 105g | Vitamin A: 794IU | Vitamin C: 185mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 1mg