If you are looking for healthy creative ways to dress up a piece of grilled chicken or a burrata salad; then this orange salsa is definitely your friend ! There are so many ways to add flavor and color and a load of vitamins to your meal.
Being that it is orange season and we are blessed to have a loaded tree in our garden, I decided to make a quick orange salsa perfect for a weeknight dinner and even game day. I mean, don’t you just wanna dive into that with a bag of chips right now ? haha
I like to use blood oranges in this salsa , but really any orange variety works here. Use a mix if you have them. This is without a doubt, a taste as you go recipe, so make sure to balance the final tartness and sweetness of the dish to your own taste buds. Same goes for the chile pepper, at the end of the day it’s about how much heat you can handle!
I have days when I can’t get enough chile slices in there, and others where I barely throw in a few for garnish. Because I used blood oranges, I feel a touch of sweetness from honey balanced by a squeeze of lime is an extremely pleasant addition.
Serve it fresh over grilled chicken or a wild caught halibut fillet, such a nice wintery variation of your summer days Picco de Gallo Salsa recipe.
- 3 blood oranges – peeled & segmented
- a squeeze of lime or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp red onion or 1 scallion -diced
- green chile pepper to taste
- 1/4 c cilantro leaves
- 1 -2 tsp honey to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Peel and cut the oranges into segments over a bowl, reserving all the juices. Gently combine the blood orange segments and juice with the onion, lemon juice, honey and sea salt in a bowl. Garnish with the cilantro and chile pepper and serve over grilled halibut fillets, chicken, or steaks.