Peaches and cherries have swept me off my feet this week, hence the obvious fruit crisp recipe. Something I would normally make in the fall, because usually baked cranberry apple crisp happens on chilly fall and winter day; around our shack anyways.
But that has changed now, thanks to an abundance of perfectly ripe succulent yellow peaches all around me. And so I feel the world needs a healthy summer fruit crisp recipe, and I’ve obliged of course.
Black tart cherries and extra sweet peaches really do it for me in this crisp. However you could go for different combinations here, like peaches and blueberries or blackberries, or just keep it a pure peach fruit crisp recipe.
Whatever rocks your taste buds really, for me the balance between sweet peaches and tart cherries really sealed the deal.
What is really amazing about this fruit crisp recipe, is that you can actually eat it for breakfast. I topped the whole thing with an organic crunchy walnut granola, used maple syrup and coconut flour to toss the fruit together, so there are absolutely no yuckies allowed in here. And you would never guess this is a healthy fruit dessert.
The Batman had this for breakfast with a scoop of cottage cheese on top, and some fresh-cut up fruit. I like to add a handful of fresh cherries over the hot crisp to balance out the textures going on.
If you want to turn this fruit crisp recipe into a dessert, just scoop some smooth organic vanilla ice-cream over the top. Who knew I could enjoy a fruit crisp without any guilt in the middle of summer ?
Did you know that when shopping at a farmers market you could ask for seconds ? Meaning all the bruised smashed fruit, the kind you can actually use in a fruit crisp recipe or in smoothies. I literally went home with about 15 pounds of organic yellow peaches for $5. Is that amazing or what ?
Just keep in mind that you will have to clean, peel and use them within a day or so, and the first day mandates this fruit crisp recipe to be executed !
Granola Peach & Cherry Fruit Crisp Recipe
- 10 yellow peaches peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 c tart black cherries pitted
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c walnut or almond granola organic
- zest from 1 organic lemon
- juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 1 tbsp salted butter grated
- fresh chocolate mint or basil for garnish
- 4 scoops vanilla ice-cream optional
- Preheat your ove to 350”F
- In an oven proof baking dish gently toss together the peaches, cherries, vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, maple syrup and coconut flour. (Reserve a few of the cherries and peaches for garnish if desired. )
- Sprinkle the granola all over the top making sure to cover the fruit underneath. Grate the butter over the granola and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or so until the granola is nicely toasted to your liking.
- Allow the fruit crisp to sit and cool off a little at room temperature before serving.
- Garnish with some fresh cherries and peaches and a few leave soft basil or chocolate mint.
- Serve with vanilla ice-cream as a dessert.