A healthy, quick and easy cream of carrot soup recipe from scratch. Made with your choice of ginger or nutmeg, fresh thyme, rosemary, chives and sage, without stock and ready in only 20 minutes!
A simple homemade vegetarian carrot soup that is easily adapted to be vegan. Just replace the heavy cream with almond milk or coconut cream and omit the goat cheese.
Or make the not yet vegetarians happy by adding a few ricotta meatballs on top. Whatever tickles your taste buds 😉
Smooth, silky and creamy, this soup even freezes well.
Best served with a slice of divine Humboldt Fog goat cheese on top, a combination of fresh herbs, chopped pistachios and a little spice from red pepper flakes.
Take your pick between grated ginger or nutmeg at the end, and finish with a squeeze of lemon to brighten things up.
It would be really lovely served with drizzles of Italian pesto or chimichurri sauce as well. Or add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach at the last minute to bump up its nutritional profile even more.
Easy Carrot Soup Recipe
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 lb organic carrots (peeled & cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 1 small parsnip ( cut into chunks)
- 1 qt water
- 3/4 c heavy cream, coconut cream or almond milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig sage
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (+ more to taste)
- 1/4 c chopped pistachios (optional)
- 1/4 lb Humboldt Fog Goat Cheese
- sea salt to taste
- 1.5 tsp fresh ginger -grated
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Add the olive oil and butter to a medium heavy bottom pot on low flame.
- Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the red pepper flakes, rosemary, sage, thyme, bay leaf, parsnip and carrots.
- Give everything a good stir to mix together and pour in enough water to cover everything. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the carrots have softened.
- Discard the bay leaf together with the rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Use a hand held immersion blender and puree the soup in the same pot until creamy and smooth. Add a little more warm water If a thinner consistency is desired.
- Add the cream and heat through. Stir in the nutmeg or grated ginger.
- Adjust seasonings to taste with sea salt. Ladle into bowls and serve with the goat cheese and fresh herbs on top.Garnish with the pistachios and more red pepper flakes.