Healthy, creamy and paleo Broccoli Spinach Soup made with flavorful leeks and brought to perfection by a golden poached egg!
There’s no need for cream or milk in this easy recipe. This soup is naturally smooth and creamy on its own with just a little help from a couple of potatoes.
Did I say ready in 20 minutes ?
Tough it os packed with nutrition already, you could even add some kale to the mix and a splash of coconut milk for an extra healthy spin If you wanted to.
We love this the vegetarian way: with a perfectly poached egg on top, extra wilted spinach and fresh herbs, maybe some crumbled goat cheese.
It also goes well with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, roasted chicken, crispy bacon or some shaved parmesan.
Broccoli Spinach Soup Recipe
- 1 leek sliced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 heads broccoli organic
- 2 golden potatoes diced
- 6 c vegetable stock or water organic
- 3 c baby spinach packed organic
- 5 sprigs thyme leaves only
- 1 leaf bay
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil organic
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flake or to taste
- Black pepper freshly cracked
- 4 poached eggs organic
- 4 tbsp fresh herbs for garnish
- Slice and rinse the leeks well. Drain on paper towels.In a cast iron pot heat up the olive oil and sautéed the leek with a pinch of sea salt until translucent. Meanwhile dice the potato and broccoli into small pieces.
- Add the red pepper flakes, garlic and potatoes to the pot and toss to coat in the oil with the onions. Pour In the vegetable stock or water and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli, thyme and bay leaf and allow them to simmer together until tender and cooked through but not mushy. About 10 minutes or so.
- Discard the bay leaf and using a hand-held blender purée the soup in the pot until smooth and creamy. Adjust seasoning to your taste with the sea salt and remove from heat.
- Add the baby spinach to the soup, give it a nice stir and cover with a lid for a couple of minutes. The spinach will wilt from the steam and the heat.
- Serve hot with a poached egg on top and a nice drizzle of golden extra virgin olive oil.
You’ll Also Love:
P.S. Learn how to poach an egg.