Vegetarian Kale Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
A healthy, good for you, easy vegetarian kale soup that is loaded with nutrition and pureed into a smooth bowl of goodness! Simply replace the dairy with coconut cream and keep it vegan If you prefer.
Supernatural spinach, kale, a zucchini for body and texture, together with a bunch of herbs and a little kick from green chili peppers make this soup simply perfect!
Feel free to add a cup of cooked quinoa at the end to make a meal of things, more like a hearty stew. I suspect this recipe is going to be on rotation at the shack all year long.
Often times I’ll add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach right after I pureed the soup and removed it from heat. The steam alone will wilt it and give it a nice rustic texture. The soup also freezes well so it’s a great make ahead recipe to have ready for a chilly winter day.
- ricotta meatballs
- roasted sweet potatoes
- creamy cannellini beans
- Focaccia bread
- Italian crusty bread
- pan seared sausage or chorizo
- top with leftover chicken carnitas or grilled chicken
Vegetarian Kale Soup
- 1 yellow onion -diced
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 bunch kale -chopped
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 zucchini -diced
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley or cilantro -roughly chopped
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 green chili pepper -sliced
- 1 chili pepper -sliced for garnish
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dairy free sour cream or greek yogurt (Optional for serving)
- Sea salt to taste
- In a heavy bottom soup pot heat up a lug of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent. Add the chili pepper, carrot and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.1 yellow onion, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini, 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 green chili pepper
- Stir in the kale and sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes. Pour in 4 cups of the vegetable stock and bring the soup to a gentle simmer. Allow to cook for a few minutes then stir in the baby spinach and chopped parsley or cilantro. Turn off the flame and cover with a lid. Allow the soup to sit for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.1 bunch kale, 1 lb baby spinach, 4-5 cups vegetable stock or water, 1/2 bunch Italian parsley or cilantro
- Using a hand held immersion blender puree the soup to your liking, adding more stock If you prefer a thinner consistency. Season to your taste with the sea salt and red pepper flakes. (Alternatively you can transfer the soup to a stand blender and puree in batches as needed).Sea salt to taste
- Serve with a drizzle of dairy free sour cream, sprinkled with the pumpkin seeds and garnished with chile pepper slices and fresh herbs.1 chili pepper, 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds, Red pepper flakes to taste, 1/2 cup dairy free sour cream or greek yogurt
This soup made my day! Thank you so much for the base recipe…I made notes of my changes and am hitting print!! Can’t wait to explore more of your recipes
Beautiful styling, absolutely beautiful! I love the look of this soup and because I love the look I also love the sound. Refreshing and hearty at the same time. Perfect! 🙂
Awww thank you Nicole, now you know that means a lot coming from you xo’s