A healthy, good for you, easy vegetarian kale soup that is loaded with nutrition and pureed into a smooth bowl of goodness! Simply replace the dairy with coconut cream and keep it vegan If you prefer.
Supernatural spinach, kale, a zucchini for body and texture, together with a bunch of herbs and a little kick from green chili peppers make this soup simply perfect!
Feel free to add a cup of cooked quinoa at the end to make a meal of things, more like a hearty stew. I suspect this recipe is going to be on rotation at the shack all year long.
Often times I’ll add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach right after I pureed the soup and removed it from heat. The steam alone will wilt it and give it a nice rustic texture. The soup also freezes well so it’s a great make ahead recipe to have ready for a chilly winter day.
- ricotta meatballs
- roasted sweet potatoes
- creamy cannellini beans
- Focaccia bread
- Italian crusty bread
- pan seared sausage or chorizo
- top with leftover chicken carnitas or grilled chicken
Vegetarian Kale Soup
- 1 yellow onion -diced
- 1 carrot -diced
- 1 bunch kale -chopped
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1 zucchini -diced
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley or cilantro -roughly chopped
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 green chili pepper -sliced
- 1 chili pepper -sliced for garnish
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dairy free sour cream or greek yogurt (Optional for serving)
- Sea salt to taste
- In a heavy bottom soup pot heat up a lug of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent. Add the chili pepper, carrot and zucchini and cook for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.1 yellow onion, 1 carrot, 1 zucchini, 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 green chili pepper
- Stir in the kale and sauté until wilted, about 5 minutes. Pour in 4 cups of the vegetable stock and bring the soup to a gentle simmer. Allow to cook for a few minutes then stir in the baby spinach and chopped parsley or cilantro. Turn off the flame and cover with a lid. Allow the soup to sit for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.1 bunch kale, 1 lb baby spinach, 4-5 cups vegetable stock or water, 1/2 bunch Italian parsley or cilantro
- Using a hand held immersion blender puree the soup to your liking, adding more stock If you prefer a thinner consistency. Season to your taste with the sea salt and red pepper flakes. (Alternatively you can transfer the soup to a stand blender and puree in batches as needed).Sea salt to taste
- Serve with a drizzle of dairy free sour cream, sprinkled with the pumpkin seeds and garnished with chile pepper slices and fresh herbs.1 chili pepper, 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds, Red pepper flakes to taste, 1/2 cup dairy free sour cream or greek yogurt