Healthy Green Pea Soup Recipe with Leeks
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
A simple and healthy homemade green pea soup made with frozen peas and lots of flavorful leeks, chive oil and served with a poached egg.
This healthy leek soup recipe is my gift to us: the leek and green pea lovers!
By all means feel free to use fresh peas here If you have them, I figure most people probably just have the organic frozen bags in the back of their freezer handy at all times, which makes this recipe very convenient.
Without ham and ham hock you guys, because why ruin a good vegetarian thing already ?!
Super creamy and silky, just use a hand held immersion blender and carefully puree everything to your liking. Add more liquid as you go to stretch out the soup to your preference.
I suspect that adding some fresh baby spinach would be a nice addition, however I’m having a purpose love affair with chive oil at this moment in time and so I’m sticking with that.
You know I like my soups and stews with hearty rustic textures, and so that’s what I went for in here as well, by pureeing only about half of the soup to give it consistency but still have cute little green peas showing up on top.
Because I need a great selling point for the BatMan, a creamy poached egg in the middle of each bowl makes it insanely good. Oh, and so pretty. And he ended up loving it, never guessing that was chive oil drizzled over the top of a leek soup! You see, I’m sneaky like that 😉
Healthy Green Pea and Leek Soup Recipe
A simple and healthy homemade green pea soup made with frozen peas and lots of flavorful leeks, chive oil and served with a poached egg.Print Recipe
- 1 large leek
- 6 c vegetable stock
- 1 lb green peas
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked sea salt + more to taste
- 4 eggs -for poaching
- edible flowers -for garnish ( optional)
- 1 bunch chives
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Slice the leek lengthwise then chop it up. Add the chopped leeks to a bowl of cold water and rinse in a few changes of water until all the grit is gone.
- Place a medium size heavy bottom soup pot on medium flame. Add a lug of olive oil and sauté the cleaned leeks with a pinch of sea salt for about 40 minutes until completely wilted and they start to caramelize.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add in the green peas and cook everything together for a few minutes until the peas are warmed through.
- Using an immersion blender puree the leek soup to your liking. I go for a rustic hearty texture but you do as you please.
- Season to your taste with the sea salt.
- Meanwhile to make the chive oil, add the chives and 3 tablespoon of olive oil to a small food processor and puree until smooth. Season with a tiny pinch of sea salt.
- Use half of the chive oil to stir in the soup and reserve the rest to drizzle over the top.
- Laddle the leek soup into bowls and serve with a poached egg on top and a drizzle of the chive oil. Garnish with some edible flowers and a few flakes of coarse smoked sea salt.
Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 2064mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2225IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 3mg
Servings: 4 people
You’ll Also Love:
oh! so delicious and looks great i love it
oh oh oh! There’s a chive-lover right here! Yummy! Looks and sounds delicious! Can not wait to try this out!
Howdy fellow chive lover ! I could bring you a bouquet, so pretty with purple flowers 🙂
I go nuts for peas, it make sense after all, no? 🙂 sweet peas in soups are amazing, their sweet, earthy flavor packs so much aroma! Love this one! Pinned!
Sure does, I’m quite fond of green peas myself. I mean they are so darn cute !
I like leeks and I like chives but I’ve never put them in a dance with peas before. I think the flavors would work really well together.
That was the trick to get the BatMan involved. Peas just give it that smooth sweet layer of flavor, I’m gonna have this one on repeat all winter. xo’s