How to make sparkling orange lemonade at home!
An easy orange lemonade recipe you can make with whatever oranges you have available!
The Morro blood orange variety will give your lemonade a very beautiful crimson color, the Tarocco blood oranges will result in a color similar to that in the photos, it all depends on the color of the flesh of your oranges.
I use sparkling water for the bubbles, so it is a good idea to mix that in just before serving. Otherwise it won’t be all that bubbly a few hours later. If you want you could even add some orange blossom water in there for a little something special.
This is actually my healthy knock-off version of the Blood Orange Pellegrino (<—amazon), it comes pretty close in taste and guilt free.
Just for fun, and because it is also pansy and viola season, I made some viola ice cubes especially for this blood orange lemonade. Because really, there’s nothing like having a purple pansy floating in your lemonade.
To turn it into a cocktail just add a good splash of vodka and voila!
- 3 lb oranges (Morro, Tarocco, Sanguinell or Cara Cara) juiced
- 4 lemons juiced
- 7 c sparkling water chilled
- 1/4 c wild honey or maple syrup + more to taste
- 1 orange sliced
- 1 lemon sliced
- 4 sprigs of mint or lemon balm
- Ice cubes
Squeeze the oranges and lemons and discard the seeds. In a large pitcher whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice and honey or maple syrup until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Just before serving, pour in the sparkling water and stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to your taste with more maple syrup or honey. Serve over ice cubes garnished with orange slices, violas and lemon balm or mint leaves.